MacGyver eppy "For Love or Money" shot in the then

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Media' started by S2kDriver, Mar 13, 2006.

1. S2kDriver

S2kDriver Well-Known Member

Did anybody see this MacGyver episode? It was shot in former Czechoslovakia in 1987. Mac lands in Vienna, Austria and drives into Czechoslovakia. Does anyone know where along the hranice (border) Mac crossed? And what town is that hospital in?

I'd like to drive by the area next time I get a chance and see how much has been changed in the last 20 years. :) TIA.

2. gr84all

gr84all Member

I did not know that! I love Richard Dean Anderson.(As an actor). I watched "Stargate" because he was so funny on it. I have to find that episode!

3. S2kDriver

S2kDriver Well-Known Member

Actually, now that I think about it, probably wasn't shot in former Czechoslovakia. They were Communist and probably wouldn't have allowed any filming lol.

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I only remember, that when I 've seen it, I laughed during whole episode. Because everything about Czechoslovakia was really unrealistic (even for this kind of show :). And name of one person was Anton Dubcek!

I even believe that signs in "Czechoslovakia" were in azbuka (Cirillic alphabet).

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Quite the oposite! Communists were desirous of dollars. Even some primitive anticommunistic propaganda didn’t matter as long as the film was only for the West.

6. gr84all

gr84all Member

Actually, after some research on the internet, all MacGyver episodes were shot on location in British Columbia, Canada. Especially around the Vancouver area. (Same for his other show "Stargate SG1). There is no way the show had the budget to travel to Czechoslovakia! They were shooting in BC because it was cheaper than LA. That's why they call Canada "Holywood North".

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Even though I enjoyed watching the show while it ran, I have to admit that some of the science in the show was pretty bad, especially considering that MacGyver supposedly had been a physics student.

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

What you say, I cannot assemble computer from spoon, rope ball and car engine?! ;-)

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

:D I was referring to the fact that the main character, MacGyver, was supposed to have been a physics student, and on the show he used various scientific principles to jury-rig solutions to problems. My point was that some of the solutions he found would never work in reality, or were in fact contrary to scientific principles.

10. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

But Sova, the average Jo (or Jane) wouldn't know that so we all thought he was awesome! Not to mention, good looking. :wink:

Hey, at least the show was anti-guns. That's a step towards communism. :D

11. gr84all

gr84all Member

This is turning into a MacGyver Forum! His acting is not that good. (No Oscar anyway.) I hope I don't live long enough to see a MacGyver movie! (Isn't Harrison Ford making another Indiana Jones movie?).