Working in CZ

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by marauder, Jun 10, 2004.

1. marauder

marauder Member

Hello there :) After some time reading these boards it is time for me to put "finger to keyboard". So can anyone help with this ?

Is it actually possible to work in CZ doing professional work if you cannot speak very much czech ? I am currently in the UK looking for a change of scene but would like to work in either the chemical industry or as a safety consultant.

Thanks for your help :)

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

It is. My high school English teacher was an Australian, did not know single Czech word when he arrived, and survived. And it was a small town, no Prague.

If you find a job in a English speaking company and live in some of the bigger cities, you should be alright. Of course, learning the local language always helps :)

3. marauder

marauder Member

Thanks for that I have a bit more confidence now. I guess now all I have to do is try and find a job ? Does anyone know where to start ? Any employment agencies etc that can help ?

:)

4. Sam

Sam Active Member

Yes, it is possible. I'm English & I worked in Prague for a real estate developer for 2 years without speaking any Czech. I now live in Moravia and work for myself, although I can now 'communiacte' in Czech.
    Depending on what field you are looking at I would suggest subscribing to the Prague Post (English language, Czech newspaper), it'll give you a good start. I saw some ads in there for English 'teachers' in Prague recently. It depends what you want to do.
    Great country to settle in if you can find a way to start.
    You'd be surprised at the amount of expats here, loads of 'Brits' in Prague, I think most, if not all have come here without being able to speak, but you must be prepared to learn.
    Good luck.

5. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

try this site : www.hotjobs.cz

but be careful, even if it is in English, they often trash your resume for not speaking Czech. Moreover, the recruiting in Prague is a flawed, non trusted industry that is about to explode, there has to be at least 100 on line job agenicies. There are as many recruiters as consultants in Prague, everyone is a business consultant here from London....strange

6. judi

judi Active Member

psychologist or social worker not speaking czech, how is that looking?