Czech equivalent of Morecambe & Wise?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Media' started by Polednikova, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Although we always used to moan that there was nothing to watch on TV at Christmas in the UK, I have been missing some of the traditional set pieces such as The Morecambe & Wise Christmas Special' c1972!

I was wondering whether there was an equivalent over here - something that everyone knows so well but loves watching and re-watching every year. If there is, I've probably missed it by now, but I can always look out for it next year.

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, there is. Mostly classic fairy-tales movies like

Pyšná princezna (1952)
    Princezna se zlatou hvězdou (1959)
    Šíleně smutná princezna (1968)
    Dařbuján a Pandrhola (1959)
    Hrátky s čertem (1956)
    S čerty nejsou žerty (1984)
    3 oříšky pro Popelku (1973)
    and others...

Another TV evergreens for period between Christmas and New Year's Day are all kinds of Czech comedies - from old ones (from thirties) up to recent.

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Actualy - sometimes it's kind of crazy.
    TV stations and movie distributors know, that if it's Czech piece, then rating will be high. In theatres bad Czech movie will easily beat Hollywood blockbuster and it's similar in TV.

So TVs will place Czech movies whenever they can.
    Some popular movies are repeated maybe 8x per year!!!

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

You have forgotten the russian "Mrazík" 8) 8)

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Actually, I didn't. And I probably never will.
    I have still memorised these songs, they are burned in my brain: :)

Cestičkou půjdu stále vpřed,
    nevěstu si vyhledám,
    ta musí být, jak jarní kvěěéét,
    jinak budu, radši sám

Před naší, za naší,
    cestá má, ať nepráší, hej!

--------

Stávala malá jedlička,
    tam mezi modříny,
    zelená byla celičká,
    od jara do zimy.

Na podzim vítr zazpíval,
    spi jedličko, jen spi.
    Mrazík ji sněhem přikrýval,
    pozor, jeeen nezmrzni.

--------

Kdybys nebyl hlupákem,
    nestal by ses medvědem!

6. Polednikova

Actually, I think that's a good thing - if Czechs felt the same about their food, perhaps we wouldn't have MacDonald's here!

Thanks very much for that list - I will now scour the tv pages to see how many I can find.

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

For today I recommend:

CT1 13:30
    Vynález zkázy

Nova 20:00
    Postřižiny

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Tomorow:

TV Nova 20.00
    Marečku, podejte mi pero!

- classic and popular Czech comedy. "Canonical" Czech comedic movie and good test for you, if you are capable to understanding of typical Czech humor :) :)

9. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

How about:

"Je ti teplo, děvče?"
    "Teplo, dědečku, teplo, Mrazíčku."

----------------

"Nastěnku chci za ženu!"

----------------

I actually had my American husband Jeff watch Mrazík a couple of years ago because I considered it essential for his assimilation into the Czech culture. :) He also knows some classic lines from Marečku, such as "Hliník se odstěhoval do Humpolce," and he knows that Postřižiny is the movie with the loud guy in it. Thanks for the reminder, eso. I already missed Vynález zkázy but I'll definitely try watching the others - for the umpteenth time. :)

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Tomorow is "Ukradena vzducholod" :) But it isn't so good (in comparison with Vynalez zkazy).

And on Saturday at 18.00 Nova:
    Kulový blesk

I'm still not sure what is better - if Mareček, or Kulový blesk... :)

11. Polednikova

That's annoying - we're going to Litvinov tomorrow to watch Slavia. Although my Czech won't be up to it yet, I'm quite good at the sense of humour and would have liked to have watched it.

12. Polednikova

I'm not sure I'd tell everyone that the main thing Jeff remembers about Postřižiny is the man with the loud voice! I would have thought things like the bottom spanking were infinitely more memorable! Or perhaps he was just being tactful...

13. eso

eso Well-Known Member

No problem, Kulovy blesk (Saturday 18.00 Nova) is even more typical and some people say it's humor is even more problematic (understandingwise) to non-Czechs ;)

14. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Jeff hasn't seen the movie. He's just around whenever I watch it. In my opinion, Postřižiny is not the easiest film to appreciate if you don't fully relate to its "Czechness".

Speaking of memorable Postřižiny scenes, Maryška and Pepin's climb up the brewery chimney is up on my list. As is their dance, Maryška downing the pint of beer that needed to be chilled a tad, her taking the bath, Francin going round and round on his motorcycle, Francin exercising at the window and stopping short at the sight of his brother... And of course both lovely hairdresser scenes. And the most memorable line? "Nudíte se? Kupte si medvídka mývala!" This film is just precious. :)