Czech movies with english subtitles?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Media' started by shreypete, Jan 5, 2008.

1. shreypete

shreypete Well-Known Member

hey guys, does anyone know of any sites which offer free czech movies with english subtitles? I'm doing this as I want to learn the language more efficiently.

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

When you're in Prague, you'll be able to buy the DVDs that various newspapers have brought out there, for 48kc or thereabouts, of classic Czech films, most of which have English subtitles.

3. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

To shreypete: Netflix or Blockbusters offer quite a bit Czech movies with subtitles.

Some examples: Autumn spring, Little Otik, Kolya, Dark Blue World, Divided We Fall, All My Loved Ones, Closely Watched Trains, Valley of the Bees, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Witches' Hammer, And Give My Love to the Swallows, Zelary, Pearls of the Deep, The White Dove, Up and Down, Late Night Talks with Mother, Black Peter, Jacob the Liar, Loves of a Blonde, Puppet Films of Jiri Trnka, Distant Journey, Daisies, Three Wishes For Cinderella (last one in Blockbusters only).

Some movies are new, some older, you have to read the reviews. I highlighted the ones I like though.

Just one more think: you can buy some movies in Czech republic and those movies can have English subtitles - but do not forget that those movies are in PAL and on top of that the majority is coded "region 2". Because there is NTSC TV broadcasting in the USA and "region 1" coding, you might have trouble. Many home-theater systems will let you play PAL movie but they will reject you because of the region code (the region can be removed on you PC or you can pay for re-recording the movie for you TV). I am just "warning" you. You will be able to play those movies in Europe but you might have a hell of the time to make them work in the USA.

4. holger

holger Active Member

czech animated series "Cvrcek" is dubbed in several languages (english, swedish and finnish) and available on dvd.