Czech donuts???

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by tabletophomestead, Nov 28, 2007.

1. I'm well familiar with kolaches from my grandmother Duffek, but was wondering: Is there a Czech version of the donut - yeast dough that's fried??

Thank you for any help.

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

I think the nearest one is "kobliha" (plural "koblihy"). One of many recipies (in Czech).

3. Those look beautiful. Unfortunately my Czech is limited to 2 foods and a motto. LOL It's a shame since my grandparents spoke it to me as a child.
    Can anyone translate the recipe for me?

Thanks

4. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Aren’t “bozi milosti” technically donuts also?
    I may remember it wrong because it’s been almost 20 years since I ate them last time at my grandma’s. Very sorry if I'm wrong.

5. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Bozi milosti are a "fried dough product" - but more flat and square than koblihy. Koblihy are jam-filled, too :) Mmmmmm....jaaaaaam :)

6. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

In US you can find something somewhat close to "koblihy" - paczki. But I always feel a bit offended because they consider them Polish :cry:

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess polish "pączki" and czech "koblihy" is very similar. By boss (who is a pole) usually bring us some pączki in occasion of "Tłusty czwartek" (Fat Thursday)

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Fat Thursday???? We have Fat Tuesday. Is that a translation error or does CR celebrate a different day than the US?

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

It is definately thursday. But I do not celebrate it, I just eat it ;-)

10. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

It looks as though it's the same thing as Fat Tuesday although I've never heard it called that in the UK, only Shrove Tuesday, or more commonly, Pancake Day, the only day of the year most of us can be bothered making pancakes - so much work for something that's eaten so quickly!

It might only be in Poland, though, because I don't remember seeing anything about it here in Prague last year.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

12. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

It appears the writer had a problem with the French. Both Fat Thursday & Fat Tuesday appear to be a tradition of eating a lot just before Lent. But for the Polish & German, he calls it an opportunity to feast. For the French, he calls it a day of gluttony and belly-worship.