Best things to do in Prague

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by moqwen, Jan 29, 2008.

1. moqwen

moqwen New Member

Hello everybody,
    I would like to visit Prague this summer. What are the most exciting things to do in the city?
    Thanks

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Exciting things can be very individual :).

Historical sights can be exciting for one, for the others nightlife or sport venues, depends...

3. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I think that just walk, see the architecture, visit Prague castle and other major historical parts, have coffee in a coffee shop and a nice dinner in the evening (many restaurants have music performance), go dancing ... just relax.

But watch your wallet and DO NOT INTEND to DRIVE in Prague.

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

at my age, just waking up in Prague is exciting :wink:

5. ollie1

ollie1 Active Member

The best way to enjoy Prague is to walk and keep walking:) . Pick up one of the many free maps, they show all the historical sights and places of interest. The architecture is the most beautiful you will ever see and the food and beer is to die for !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

6. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you like.
    When I get to a foreign city I don't know I usually pick a map, see the touristic sights and if I have enough time I would just walk. You know just, without an idea where I am going, I would turn to streets that looks interesting and I would just keep walking and after a while, usually longer while, I'd look into a map, see where am I and get back somehow.
    Last time I did this was in Antwerp, Brugge and Brussels and I really did find interesting places, shops, streets, buildings and usually without tourists.

You may try to do that in Prague.

And what else interesting you may see in Prague? It really depends on what you like. Do you like parks? Muzeums? Galleries? Architecture? What one may find interesting doesn't have to be interesting for someone else.

I personally like walking and finding new places, that's why I usually don't take a tram, but just walk.

7. moqwen

moqwen New Member

Thanks to all of you for the information. I tend to like nightlife and outdoors more. But I don't mind visiting historical places as well. I visited Paris in 2000 and loved it; is Prague somehow similar to Paris?

8. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

If you loved Paris, you may never leave Prague. :D

BTW, there are a lot of fun clubs in Prague catering to all sorts of people. I'm sure you won't have any problems finding them once you get there. Perhaps someone on the forum can suggest a starting point or do a quick search of the forum (try "clubs" or related terms).

Have a great time!

9. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Moqwen,
    Prague is a historical city itself. So if you want to go out at night, you will definitely see some history too.
    Well, from American point of view I might say that Prague is similar to Paris. From my European point of view is not (btw Prague resembles to Vienna much more).
    But yes - you go out in the evening, you have a little walk in the center, dinner in a restaurant, go to the club or whatever you want to do & the old architecture and the atmosphere will follow you.

From historical point of view you should at least visit the Prague Castle and the Charles' bridge (not doing so is like skipping Tour d'Eiffel and Louvre in Paris).

10. ollie1

ollie1 Active Member

Also take extra memory for your camera and take loads of pictures and hopefully it will be a trip that you will never forget :) :)

11. stockczech

stockczech Member

Exciting? Depends on your point of view, but maybe use public transport, not taxis; visit the zoo; try some of the activities here

Sheila

12. saillael

saillael Well-Known Member

If you love the outdoors, walk the city by all means and don't forget to look up. But also walk up Petrin Hill and have a picnic. By all means drink lots of beer at outdoor cafes. The ones off of Old Town Square are much better priced. Spend time on the river by renting a paddle boat. On rainy days, duck into some of the many churches. Definitely buy a good guidebook and prioritze some sites to see before you go. Have a wonderful time. I won't go to Prague without eating at least once at the Louvre cafe in old town near the national theatre.

13. Anna683

Anna683 Well-Known Member

I agree. Lonely Planet is excellent. Very practical and up-to-date. I find it invaluable.

14. ta

ta Well-Known Member

Hi,

I didn't get to read all of the answers/advices from other people so hopefully I am not repeating someone else but here it is:

Go to Petrin tower (little Eiffel tower but Czech style) - once you climb all the stairs, the view is just awesome!

I am not sure if you are into a club scene but RADOST in Prague 2 is one of the best ones..they also have a cute coffee shop there.

And if you like to walk you can go visit the Vysehrad castle/park - the place is great for a bikeride..

Hope you will have fun!

Tanja

15. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Many excellent ideas are coming out in this thread. IMO, Prague and Paris can't be compared on an equal field. Paris has been destroyed (not completely) and rebuilt so many times that the lines can be blurred between what is historical and what looks historical. Paris is a great city, I'm not trying to take away from it's beauty. Prague is the historical 'real deal.' During the beginning of 93 we found an old Roman aquaduct under our building...Prague is intoxicating no matter what your tastes are.

Some people on the thread may be offended with this next bit of advise, buy this book now, read it a couple of times, it is about WW I but it gives a pretty good insight to Czech attitudes.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Soldier-Svej ... 0140182748

If anything, knowledge of this story will be a good way to break the ice with Czechs, some will agree while some will disagree...as I said, it is a great way to start a conversation.

Naturally after you have read the book, you must stop by:

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=363

and raise a mug to Svejk :wink:

Also, for a once in a lifetime experience, no matter if you go to these events or not.....you must go to:

http://www.czechopera.cz/

It is a world class opera that you will never attend for the same price anywhere else.

Take the underground, trams, and walk. Save the taxis for late night and keep in mind there is/was 2 sets of fares; local and tourist, don't get mad, accept it and use taxis only when really needed.

There are a lot of tourist from other countries there, most to sight see, a small minority for financial gain:

Keep you wallet/valuables in a fanny pack under your shirt. Don't place all of your money in one pocket. Mugging isn't the problem, it's those frisky pick pockets that will get you.

GUARD YOUR PASSPORT!!!!

You can get a new one at the Embassy but it will eat up two days worth of your trip.

16. fierykat

fierykat New Member

Just got back... :(

Agree about Petrin, but also try going up the funicular, it's fun
    Make sure you find the statue of Libuse & Premysl when you go to Vysehrad :wink:

xx