what kind of present to bring to Czech Republic from USA?

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by kitty46, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Oh my... it was me :). But still, my opinion on peanut butter is hard to be changed. I just do not like it.

2. kitty46

kitty46 Well-Known Member

Is this correct that there is no peanut butter in Czech Republic???
    I am going to drive airport security absolutely nuts!!! :roll:

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess maybe somewhere in Prague...

4. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i've seen peanut butter here (and i'm not in prague) - can't tell you where though as i'm not really a fan of it either but a friend bought it to try (they didn't like it either) makes me wonder whether it's something to do with tastebuds that are inherited and czech tastebuds just don't like peanut butter, irregardless of where they are born? :D

- i will take a look next time i am out shopping

as far as the pancakes are concerned, aren't czech lívance more or less the same? just that they aren't served with syrup traditionally - except for that one friend of mine who always wanted the log cabin syrup :D

the issue with aluminium foil is true - but the garbage bags i'm not sure - i've purchased garbage bags to plant tomatoes in and they held up well even standing outside in the sun all summer...

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

We buy peanut butter in Prague on a regular basis. You can find it at Tesco, Country Life and other places. We buy the natural kind. There's also Skippy and some other U.S. brands. I don't know a single Czech person who likes it. My guess is that the salt puts people off. Czechs are used to Nugeta or Nutella, which are sweet. Hey, maybe you could make your Czech friends a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and offer some rootbeer to go with it. :wink:

They're not really the same. Both the consistency and taste are a little different. Culinaria used to carry Aunt Jemima and now they have Bisquick. I haven't seen U.S. pancake mix anywhere else. I think Czechs would be much more open to pancakes with maple syrup than a PB&J sandwich.

There's one kind of garbage bags that are really nice and sturdy. I forget the brand name now - they're blue. The problem is that we can only find them at Tesco, which requires a special trip for us, and Tesco is out of them half of the time. You just can't rely on finding your favorite products on the shelves every time, even trivial stuff like dish soap or dental floss. Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't...

6. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Here, blue bags are used only for recycling.

7. jen

jen Well-Known Member

When I first moved here, there was no packaged pancake mix of any kind available, so I quickly learned to make them from scratch. When I finally had the opportunity to pick up a rather large quantity of Bisquick from an American family that was moving back to the US, I was shocked and amazed at how nasty the pancakes (and biscuits) made from it tasted now that I was used to making them fresh! It's funny what you get used to, and un-used to!

I will never, ever use Bisquick again. However, root beer still rocks :) Oh, and my Czech-American son adores PB&J, and has even converted some of his Czech friends at school, as he takes it often for svačina :)

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Many people don't realize that pancake mix has a short shelf life. As most people don't make pancakes often, they usually keep the mix longer than the actual shelf life. Expired pancakes are what taste awful. :)

9. jen

jen Well-Known Member

That's true, and I'm sure that's what was wrong with mine...I think it was a sign - I like making them from scratch now - I feel like I have more control over what I'm putting in them - I may not know where all of the ingredients come from specifically, but I know that all there is in there is flour, eggs (from a neighbor), milk (also from a neighbor), butter and some baking powder - no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives - and it's really not that much harder than using Bisquick :)

Besides, I cannot bring myself to pay Culinaria prices for things like that!

10. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

In 92 Peanut Butter and Wonder Bread was the biggie, we used to drive to Army Commissary in Vilseck.

Now we have Nutella and panera bread, the PB & WB has never been in this house.

It's all about location :wink:

11. kitty46

I'm curious about what panera bread is???
    As for pancakes....I \, personally do not make thick ones as with Bisquick and mixes. I make what is called Swedish pancakes here, but my friend in Austria called them crepes and knew how to make them. There are also potato pancakes (German?) and ebelskiver (Danish, but not exactly a pancake). I've got my gift question taken care of, but this food discussion is great! Thanks
    BTW I cannot afford a laptop for myself, let alone a gift :roll:

12. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

It's an American version (mass production) of a local bakery. If you can locate one where you live it's worth the visit.

http://www.panerabread.com/

Here is where you bring up the special part of American Culture, the mixing bowl part. Some people miss this because they go the fast food or easy prepartion route. I also have had those types of pancakes while growing up in Pittsburgh. Potato salid and many other types of Pittsburgh food were re-introduced to me when I lived in Prague and once I married.

The Swedish pancakes are filled with jams and or Nutella, the Potato, potato salid, beer.....well as far as I have been informed all originally came from the Czech Republic. I never doubt the origins as long as the food keeps coming :lol:

For some reason, I get bad looks when I use ketchup with the potato pancakes....I haven't figured that one out yet.

13. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I agree with Dana and others - I do not know a single Czech person who likes peanut butter. I cannot even smell it and when I saw "Meet Joe Black" movie, the scene where he tries peanut butter gives me goose bulbs :cry:. My elder son detests it too.

So the only person home who eats it is my husband; so we buy it 1-2 times a year.

Agree that it has something to do with taste heritage or the way person was brought up. I am used to have "krupicova kase" or something little for dinner, my husband has to have meat. Well, at least I can tease him he is "a spoiled American" :lol: .

14. kitkit

kitkit Member

The only Czech person I know who LOVES peanut butter is my best friend. He was studying in Australia for 4 years (that's where we met), he had no idea what peanut butter was before that.

Bring Hershey's! You can't find them here :D

15. kitty46

Really???You don't have Hershey's? I have bought a lot of chocolate there, but never noticed it was not Hershey's. The kisses come in all sorts of flavors now and the newest is coconut center. It is sooo goode. :) I used to go to Tesco and stock up on candy that was different for the gfamily and friends to choose from. Now I get some different (from here) things at the Kolbenova flea market...much cheaper.

16. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

I got areally good book from Prague from my sister about architecture and I cant wait to see the buildings in the book. But then I love architcture. The book is in English and Czech, Iis this usual or do only some companies do this?
    What about something from your new antique shoppe.