Rent a car or take the train - Frankfurt to Prague.

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by galiano, Apr 12, 2008.

1. galiano

galiano New Member

We will be in Frankfurt, Rothenberg and then Prague for 12 days in December ( Christmas markets ) and are wondering if we should rent a car for the trip. We like the freedom having a car gives and we have driven in other countries. But we think maybe taking the train would be best for this visit as we hear that parking is impossible and theft from vehicles in Prague is common. I am also a bit concerned about road conditions in December. We're from Canada so understand winter !

So should we rent a car or take the train ? - what do you suggest ???

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

It depends on how many of you are traveling, calculate train ticket vx car rent and gas (more expensive in Europe). Depending on your itineraray.
    and it you only stay in those three cities, you will be better on public transportation. Big problems/expensive parking in Frankfurt and in Prague (don't know other). In Prague, it is very reasonable, simple and very efficient to travel by tram or Metro without worry about car. Actually most places you will want to go in Prague is walking zone.

I can compare train excellent (able to get everywhere) and frequent public transportation in Europe as it is used by general public - comparing to Canada where everybody drives. We never have problems with being mobile on public transit in Europe, while my guests to Canada are depending on us to drive them everywhere.

Even if you are older, it seems that in Prague, you won't gain any more comfort by driving, just problems. Tourist places are walking places anyway.

Good luck and have a good time.

3. galiano

galiano New Member

Thank you very much for your reply. We will look at the train schedules.