Researching my family history

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by springvale278, Aug 6, 2004.

1. springvale278

springvale278 New Member

My family name was Dragan . My father tells me the family were Landed Gentry : my Ancestor was a Baron. He was involved in an uprising against the government. He was expelled from the Country & his land confiscated. The family changed it name to Duniec & settled in Poland.
    Can anyone tell me how I can check if this information is accurate & where I can find out more about my family.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Gerald,

I'd start by getting information from your father such as when did this family line immigrate to the U.K., first and last names of those immigrating and as best as possible, where they were coming from. Then I'd try to pinpoint the location using the UK's immigration records. It looks as though they have many online resources at the following address:
    http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/topics/immigration.htm
    This should be a good starting place. Once you've traced your line back to Poland, however, things will probably get more difficult, as access to records will likely be harder. Also, be aware that many records were destroyed in Poland during the Nazi occupation. I hope this helps.

Also, just a possibility, the name Dragan sounds more Yugoslav (Serbian, Croatian, Slovene?) than Czech, to me. Perhaps this is where this line originated. (Just a guess)