Orlicke hory - off the beaten path

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by eso, Jun 8, 2008.

1. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I just returned from my holiday. If you would like to try something really off the beaten path, you could try Orlicke hory - beautiful landscape and practically no tourists - in early June anyway. Sometimes I didn't meet anybody for hours.

And so cheap - one night in mountain lodge (room with bathroom/shower) and with breakfast and dinner costs 450 Kč per day - about 28 dollars.

On other hand - car is recommended and narrow mountain roads could be scary, especialy for Americans ;)

Here some photos:

Gallery

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I second this. While the north-western parts of Eastern Bohemia (Krkonoše, Český ráj) is crowded with tourists, the south-eastern parts (Orlické hory, northern parts of Vysočina and especially Železné hory) are free of them. And the nature is somehow less ruined. Only in winter there are some skiers in Orlické hory, but mostly locals.

Yes, transport is problem of this region. It is crossed by the country’s main rail corridor, but that’s all. For non-locals, the car is a must.

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Lovely photos and thanks for the suggestion. I think we know what were doing this summer but next year, we want to hire a car and do some driving round to places that as you say are off the beaten track.

4. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Those ARE really nice pictures.
    Beautiful area.

To bývalé vojenské opevnění.....z které doby?
    Je jasné, že to nejsou, ale v Čechách jsou to archeoligické náleza z doby říše římské, že?

a foto Hradecu Králové je zajímavé.
    Nové most na staré založení?

A ted' vidíme toho, s kým píšeme.

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I had a hard time with that one at first, too.

Cool pictures, eso!

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

It’s a part of Czechoslovak fortification system against nazi Germany.
    The area of the Czech Republic was never controled by the Romans, but there are some archeological excavations of Roman military camps. Of course, there is a lot of non-Roman findings from that era.

7. scrimshaw

Thanks Sova.
    Hradeč...I guess that's like model....klič...masculine...soft
    I see it now.
    A fotky hradců králových jsou zajímavé také.
    Přecházíme na kopce nahoru k hradcům právě ted'.
    Cestu dolů bude snadší.

A Were
    To ne-římské nálezy; ti lidé, z té stejné doby, by se nazývaly germanské kmeny?
    I think that is the term we would use..germanic tribes..kind of encompassing all the peoples north of the roman frontier.

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

This town name is confusing for the foreigners, because the “Králové” part sounds like a plural adjectival form, while in fact it is a singular genitive form of the noun “Králová”. “Králová” means “queen consort” (also “queen widow”) in old Czech.

The word “Hradec” is of model “stroj” (or “klíč” if you want), but it is that kind of words which has an additional “-e-” in some cases to break the unpronounceable consonant clusters.
    The suffix “-ec” is an ancient suffix for diminutives. It is not common in modern Czech, but you can find it in a lot of local names:

hradec = malý hrad (= small castle)
      dvorec = malý dvůr (= small court/yard)
      městec = malé město (= small town)
      klášterec = malý klášter (= small cloister)

So, “Hradec Králové” means the “the small castle of the queen consort”.

Not exactly, Germanic tribes are the tribes speaking Germanic languages, not all the tribes north of the Roman frontier. It’s inappropriate for Celtic tribes, for Huns, for Avars and others.
    Maybe “Barbarian” could replace the “non-Roman”, but this adjective is politically incorrect for about fifteen centuries. :wink:

9. scrimshaw

Ted' se učíme starou češtinu. :D

To je dějina, které rozpačitě, uplně neznám.
    Češi by se řekli, že své praotci byli....?
    Ted' určitě ukazuji moje neznalost.

Děkuji za dějininu lehci, Were.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Praotec Čech, of course ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forefather_Cech

11. scrimshaw

Aha, samozřejmě, praotec Čech. Ten, o který zpíval Nohavica v 'Ladovská zima'.
    To je legenda, co jsem neznal. Jeden z třech bratrů.
    On se usadil na Řípu.
    Všechno ted' je jasné. :D

12. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Here version from popular Czech comics book for children: :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. scrimshaw

Praotec Čechu našel tu zaslíbenou země mléka a medu, zvířat a ptáků, i zajíců plná.
    Je to dobrý vědět takové věci.
    Hodně št'astné, usmívající tváři.
    Děkuji mnohokrát za dějinou lekce.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge. :)

14. petri

petri Well-Known Member

Thanks for interesting info and pics. It´s a pitty that my summer vacation plans are already done. I´ll be close to the place anyway...