what kind of present to bring to Czech Republic from USA?

Post messages related to Central and Eastern European countries other than the Czech Republic.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, My Czech Republic

kitty46

Postby kitty46 » 04-Mar-08 21:53

I'm curious about what panera bread is???
As for pancakes....I \, personally do not make thick ones as with Bisquick and mixes. I make what is called Swedish pancakes here, but my friend in Austria called them crepes and knew how to make them. There are also potato pancakes (German?) and ebelskiver (Danish, but not exactly a pancake). I've got my gift question taken care of, but this food discussion is great! Thanks
BTW I cannot afford a laptop for myself, let alone a gift :roll:
I love everything about the Czech Republic!!! I can hardly wait to return. I have just purchased my own antique shoppe.
PGN

Postby PGN » 04-Mar-08 22:27

kitty46 wrote:I'm curious about what panera bread is???

It's an American version (mass production) of a local bakery. If you can locate one where you live it's worth the visit.

http://www.panerabread.com/

kitty46 wrote:As for pancakes....I \, personally do not make thick ones as with Bisquick and mixes. I make what is called Swedish pancakes here, but my friend in Austria called them crepes and knew how to make them. There are also potato pancakes (German?) and ebelskiver (Danish, but not exactly a pancake).

Here is where you bring up the special part of American Culture, the mixing bowl part. Some people miss this because they go the fast food or easy prepartion route. I also have had those types of pancakes while growing up in Pittsburgh. Potato salid and many other types of Pittsburgh food were re-introduced to me when I lived in Prague and once I married.

The Swedish pancakes are filled with jams and or Nutella, the Potato, potato salid, beer.....well as far as I have been informed all originally came from the Czech Republic. I never doubt the origins as long as the food keeps coming :lol:

For some reason, I get bad looks when I use ketchup with the potato pancakes....I haven't figured that one out yet.
Dannae

Postby Dannae » 05-Mar-08 15:17

I agree with Dana and others - I do not know a single Czech person who likes peanut butter. I cannot even smell it and when I saw "Meet Joe Black" movie, the scene where he tries peanut butter gives me goose bulbs :cry:. My elder son detests it too.

So the only person home who eats it is my husband; so we buy it 1-2 times a year.

Agree that it has something to do with taste heritage or the way person was brought up. I am used to have "krupicova kase" or something little for dinner, my husband has to have meat. Well, at least I can tease him he is "a spoiled American" :lol: .
Wishing to find people with the same roots (e.g. Czech) or interested in learning Czech language.
kitkit

Postby kitkit » 17-Mar-08 14:00

The only Czech person I know who LOVES peanut butter is my best friend. He was studying in Australia for 4 years (that's where we met), he had no idea what peanut butter was before that.

Bring Hershey's! You can't find them here :D
kitty46

Postby kitty46 » 18-Mar-08 1:40

Really???You don't have Hershey's? I have bought a lot of chocolate there, but never noticed it was not Hershey's. The kisses come in all sorts of flavors now and the newest is coconut center. It is sooo goode. :) I used to go to Tesco and stock up on candy that was different for the gfamily and friends to choose from. Now I get some different (from here) things at the Kolbenova flea market...much cheaper.
I love everything about the Czech Republic!!! I can hardly wait to return. I have just purchased my own antique shoppe.
Ark1tec

Postby Ark1tec » 25-Jun-08 23:28

I got areally good book from Prague from my sister about architecture and I cant wait to see the buildings in the book. But then I love architcture. The book is in English and Czech, Iis this usual or do only some companies do this?
What about something from your new antique shoppe.
Up the velvet revolution!