Censorship

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kacerovsky, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Kacerovsky

Kacerovsky Member

I went to google this morning and everything I typed in reference to the Czech Republic the only site that would appear was the Prague Post.

It wasn't until I typed, Ceská republika, that websites started to pop-up, and I then found this forum..

Now everytime I type Czech Republic I get access to all the cz sites that are available..

That was wierd.. Any idea why?

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Really strange.

My only idea is, if you accidentaly didn't write some typo - like "Czeck republic" which is only somewhere on Prague Post site.

3. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but if I want to find something, I type it in Czech.

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Excellent, Eso. I really admire someone who can be witty in their second language!

5. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

That is weird, I would try it again. Just type in the word Czech. :wink:

6. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I had a problem for a while a couple of months ago that when I ran google searches for Czech things, I would only get results from Slovak sites. I sent them a bug report reminding them that Czech and Slovak are two different things. I do think they play with their search algorithm regularly. It also reads your IP address and sends you to your local version of google - even though google.COM is my default search engine, my searches get sent to google.CZ (I can see it in teh status bar at the bottom of my Firefox screen.)

A search right now for "czech republic" on google brings up the official Czech site - www.czech.cz - as the first result.

7. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

speaking of the official czech website, i've just discovered the "WTF of the Day":

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection. If the server is on the local machine, and if the before mentioned registry value does not exist or is set to 0, then the state server connection string must use either 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' as the server name.

who on earth would use something OS-specific for an official site of a _country_? (and when is the last time you encountered anything written in ASP anyway?) now when i want to know how my country presents itself to the world, i must first feed the code to perl and have it translated to some sane language. the Czech Republic is probably not interested in people who are still so stone-age they didn't yet discover the ultimate Good of Windows, oh well. ALL YOUR INTERNET ARE BELONG TO US.

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

This is server message. It has nothing to do with your browser or OS, just it says, that something is wrong with webserver.

And ASP.NET (part od dotnet technology) is different from old ASP and it's quite good technology, I have to say.