Sights to See from Prague to Southern Moravia

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by alcbear, Sep 25, 2008.

1. alcbear

alcbear New Member

We will have a driver for 10 hours to take us from Prague to Straznice in Southern Moravia, which should give us about 7 hours of extra time to view some sites....and eat.

We don't necessarily have to take a direct route.

Any recommendations of places to see or interactive site (breweries, wineries, etc.)?

Thanks

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I would take D1 highway to Brno and then I would visit either Austerlitz site with a castle, or Buchlov (stronghold/castle) and Buchlovice (chateau/castle) with wine cellars. I would prefer the second option, because I have seen both. Buchlov is one of the best preserved medieval castles in Moravia, and despite on the first sight it might look as a ruin, it has very nice interiors. Worth visit, I have been there twice. Both options are on the same route, not much longer the the direct one. If interested more in wine, nice villages and architecture then castles, direct way (but not using D2 highway) is the best option for you, visiting Kyjov, Vracov and Bzenec.

Not a big detour is when going D1 plus D2 from Brno towards Bratislava, and visiting castles and park and castle district between Lednice and Valtice, written in Unesco list.

So google those option and choose one best for you, because I think those are the very best not far from your route.

3. alcbear

alcbear New Member

Thank You Alexx,

I was wondering if it would be worth going through Boehmia on way to Staznice.

It was recommended to see Ceske Budejovice and Hluboka castle.

It is not direct route but my cousin said it is most beautiful.

Do you think this would be better or not as good as your first recommendations?

Thanks,

Alan Stas

4. MK

MK Well-Known Member

Both are great but both are south from Prague. You can try Hluboka, Budejovice and then on the way to Brno Telc but I worry 10 hours is not enough to fully enjoy these places. You will drive all way south from D1 motorway. D1 can be sometimes pretty jamed but it is still overall quickiest way to Brno.

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Agree, you can spend two hours driving to Ceske Budejovice, and another at least four then to Straznice. So you have less then four hours to see Hluboka (which is really nice) and Ceske Budejovice, not speaking of lunch. Problem going this way is there are (almost) no highways.

I only picked up highlights close to the shortest way.

I have another option, if you are interested in WWI, you can visit Konopiště, once residence of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Este (the guy shot to death in Sarajevo 1914), which is close to Prague and not big detour as well. As Franz Ferdinand was an enthusiastic hunter, there is a large collection of antler (and medieval weapons and armor). Part of the film The Illusionist was filmed in Konopiště, which is supposed to be the Prince's castle in the movie.

Btw. another scenes from this movie, places where the duchess was from, Teschen (nowadays Cieszyn in Poland), was filmed in Cesky Krumlov, nice place as well, but again too far from the closest way to Strážnice.

6. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Alexx.
    Konopiste is really incredible. The collection of weapons there is like the 2nd largest of it’s kind (if I remember correctly).

Also, little out of the box but, this is fall so it’s “hody” time (harvest festivals). If you can find which/if any village will be having their “hody” on the weekend you are there it may be a blast attending.

Moravsky Kras. Those caves are really beautiful and the caretakers done amazing job with back-lighting with colors and shadows to show off the most details.

7. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I was just at a hody this past weekend in Southern Moravia, and I had a great time! :D