New Year's Eve 2008-09 in Prague?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by MattRadio, Oct 1, 2008.

1. MattRadio

MattRadio Member

Dobry den, everyone!

I love visiting Prague in the winter, and this year I'm considering spending New Year's Eve there. Before I book my trip, I thought I'd seek the wisdom of this board.

Is New Year's Eve in Old Town Square and at the Charles Bridge really the insane, hysterical, "better wear goggles and a helmet" free-for-all I've heard some horror stories about? And if so, are there some slightly more sedate but still exciting party alternatives to be found near the city center?

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! -Matt

2. MK

MK Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention most notorious place of such kind - Wenceslav square. :D

People just go wild. Drink, crash bottles, spill wine, use unsecurely fireworks and so. Not whole bunch but lot of people. If you will stay away from such wild groups and watch what people around you are doing then you are safe.

Hope I did not add to horor stories.

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

A really good place to go, where there are far fewer people and everyone is much better behaved, is on the ramparts at Vyšehrad. You overlook the whole city and see everyone else's fireworks. Some people take their own modest fireworks and it's all much more civilised. :)

Although I wouldn't call it a 'party' atmosphere - there's no organised entertainment or music, just small groups of individuals enjoying the fireworks.

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Deleted. Sorry, edited via 'quote' rather than 'edit'! (It's too early!)