Presents

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by spanny, Oct 1, 2008.

1. spanny

spanny Member

Hello, I new to this board I have just joined. I am going to Czech Rep. next week visiting family in Klatovy and a friend in Prague. I haven't been there for 10 years and would like to take a few presents but don't know what. I live in Spain and I hope that you would be able to help.
    I was wondering if these microfibre cloths are available - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/cloth-pack,-m ... duct/20747
    or if a mandolin is easily available -
    http://www.bizrate.com/kitchensupplies_ ... 96874.html
    I use both items at home and I thought that my friend would like it.
    Kamila

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I would say they are available here. Mind Spain and CR are both parts of same EU market.

Maybe some typical Spanish food or drink?

3. spanny

spanny Member

Thanks eso for your reply. I used to live in UK so I still think of things we have in UK. I will definitely take extra virgin oil and some chorizzo, possibly olives? I have read thread from kitty46 and some people were suggesting tin foil and cling film (saran wrap), freezer bags and cornflour. What do you think?
    Kamila

4. cestina

cestina Active Member

It depends on what the tin foil is like in Spain. I have hunted and hunted for decent tin foil in the CR, without success. Everything I have bought, even if labelled extra strong, rips to shreds as soon as you touch it. I've now put packets of foil onto my list of what comes over from the UK....

Reasonable quality cling film and freezer bags are freely available in the CR.

5. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

You're quite right, Cestina. Tin foil would be a good idea although I suppose it depends what nationality your family and friend are, Spanny. I suppose Czechs are satisfied with their tin foil, otherwise someone would sell the thicker versions. I do buy chorizo and olives here although yours are probably better, but I bet they'd appreciate the olive oil because the good stuff is very expensive here. But what about bringing foodstuffs in? I don't know what the rules are. :?

6. spanny

spanny Member

Thank you for your replies. I haven't thought about bringing foodstuff to Czech republic. I thought that you can bring reasonable amount of food in. I take oil, wine vinegar, olives, pickled fish (Spanish boquerones), pistachios, chorizos for my daughter when I go to UK to visit without any problems. I am Czech (lived in Prague for 22 years)and my family is Czech so I suppose they will be happy with the tin foil they have. They haven't traveled that much so they haven't got the experience with any different type of foil.
    Celestina, the foil we have in Spain is good strong foil and we also have shops here which sell British goods. So getting a good foil is no problem.
    I have bought Extra virgin olive oil now and will get wine tomorrow. That's what my uncle wants. My uncle loves fish and seafood so I would like to take some of that to him. Is seafood readily available? Bare in mind that my uncle lives in Klatovy - about 30 mins. drive from Pilzen.

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

So you have been living in Spain for 10 years and you never went for visit back to CR during that time?

Seafood is avalaible, but most likely there is bigger selection and lower prices in Spain.

8. spanny

spanny Member

Yes, I haven't been to CR since my mum died.

I want to bring prawns, octopus, clams and seafood like that. Do you have that in CR?

9. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

You can certainly get prawns. I'm not sure about the octupus and clams but then I've never gone looking for them. But even prawns are expensive so I imagine other, more exotic seafood, would be even dearer. But are Czechs very keen on this sort of thing? You might end up eating them all yourself!

10. spanny

spanny Member

I know that my uncle likes that type of food, he loved it when he visited us a few years ago. And my cousins daughter was here on a business trip in spring this year and she told me that their client took them in to a Spanish Seaside bar and they had a lot of seafood and they loved it. So I am safe with the food. All the seafood is very reasonably priced here, the prawns are fantastically juicy. But I know that my friend will not like this type of food so I thought that I will take Spanish serano ham.