Eurotalk software

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by JPS, Oct 23, 2008.

1. JPS

JPS Member

Anyone on here used the Eurotalk software to learn Czech with?

Any good? Worth checking out?

2. phi11ip

phi11ip Well-Known Member

I have the "Beginners" version. It only teaches you vocabulary. No grammar at all. In my opinion a very expensive way to learn vocabulary.
    Regards
    Phil

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

take a look at byki.com (Before You Know It by Transparent Language) - they have a free version in Czech for download. It has quite a few good phrases and vocabulary but no real structured grammar. They also have an advanced version for a reasonable price and a Languages of the World Czech program that compliments it (also pretty cheap).

be sure to check out the language tab in the blue bar above and search the posts here - you will find lots of resources.

4. JPS

JPS Member

Thanks. I was hoping the Eurotalk/Worldtalk had a bit more grammar based stuff.

Might check out that BYKI. Diky!

5. JPS

JPS Member

Just bought BYKI. Great recommendation, thanks. Great to be able to make your own lists.

6. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

you bought it!?

I never heard of anyone buying it before.. what's it like?

I found the lite versions are great for revision of things you already know but completely useless for learning vocabulary (except for things with pictures like colors and food)

I have

Audio lingual methods:

Colloquial Czech by James Naughton
    Teach Yourself Czech (this is terrible)

Text books:

Do you want to speak czech?
    Communicative Czech
    Czech Step by Step

I think Colloquial Czech is the best for learning without a teacher. The grammar is well explained, although they go through everything very fast. You really need to put in the effort yourself and make sure you know each chapter inside out before you move on to the next chapter, otherwise it's absolutely no good to you and you'll end up getting confused and all you'll learn is some vocabulary you're incapable of using without grammar.. also there is a serious lack of practice exercises in that book.. that's what I use Communicative Czech for

Then Czech Step by Step is wonderful with the help of a teacher.. I try to leave it alone except to do homework.. but it's quite a fun book so it's always tempting to read on!

I was thinking of getting one of the Eurotalk ones eventually and would like to hear more of what people think of them... although I've been warned they skip a level

It should go:

Beginner
    Elementary
    Pre-Int
    Intermediate
    Upper - Int
    Proficient

And there is no pre-int level, so people naturally think they are ready for Intermediate and get a big fright.. Basically beginner and Elementary should take a year, and each other level takes a year, except to get from Upper int to proficient is a huge step... Also it will take longer if you don't have time to study like crazy

Does the 'Euro' series continue to neglect grammar at higher levels?

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Just a note about BYKI...

They have a deluxe version for 50USD that includes much more than the free download - no specific grammar but many complete phrases. For the price, it is a better deal than a lot of language software out there.

I bought it too and have really enjoyed working with it.

8. JPS

JPS Member

The BYKI Express (the paid version) looks like it will be a great help.

I haven't had a proper look through the included vocab/phrases, but it seems to have some useful stuff.

The main reason I bought it is to make my own lists. It's part of my new study program. For example, I had to translate some stuff last night for my Czech homework. I got up before work this morning and typed in all my new vocab into a New List on BYKI. Tonight I will get my partner to record the Czech for it and then revise for that. I find the typing of the vocab (as you have to think about the Czech keyboard) a huge help. Then the randomness of the testing by BKYI keeps it in my head (I hope).

Regarding text books, keep on eye out for Czech in Three Months (Elisabeth Bislington). Ignore the title, but it is highly recommended for beginners without a teacher (which you are not!).

Cheers.

9. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

I got the Eurotalk intermediate last year.. NOT intermediate. it's something you should get after you've been learning Czech maybe a month, not a year.
    Way too easy, waste of money; they should have used the Common European framework, I held off on buying it for a while thinking it was actually intermediate. It might actually have been useful if i'd gotten it sooner.