czech canisters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by dzurisova, Nov 17, 2008.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

My step-daughter and I like to shop at antique stores. At almost every antique shop in this area we come across a set of canisters that looks somewhat like this

[​IMG]

And say "made in Czechoslovakia". But the sets we see are older, appear to be from the 1950's or so.

We are curious as to why they are written in English. It seems they would be written in Czech such as cukr, kava, etc. Does anyone know the story behind these sets?

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

My guess: export to english speaking countries.
    Many products in Czechoslovakia were produced for export.

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I thought during Communism, they didn't export to non-communist countries???? I thought we were the evil capitalists! :twisted:

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Then you though wrong! The thing the commies liked the most were…

…dollars.

The Czech economy is limited by lack of resources. We need the international trade to survive. Our economy was always export-oriented.

No, that time you were the imperialistic pigs, the Wall Street murders, the killers of innocent Korean childs and the exploiters of the black people.

Given the picture, I would guess it’s from the 30’s, or a fake from the 90’s. But it could be from any era since 1918 (except of the war years). Maybe the name of the manufactory or the hallmark could be more helpful.

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Evil capitalists with hard foreign currencies. And you need lot of money if you want to finance world revolution ;) ;)

6. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

when it come to dolars..
    http://orgprepdaily.wordpress.com/2007/11/08/agent-orange-made-in-czechoslovakia/
    ..comrades even dont know who are they supposed to support;)
    (thought we send quite lot guns to comm. Vietnam)