New Year in Prague: pabs/night clubs

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by koshka, Nov 20, 2008.

1. koshka

koshka New Member

Hello everyone,

We are going to spend a week in January in Prague. Actually, we'll celebrate New Year there and as for now I have 2 outstanding questions.

First, we are looking for a nice place to meet the new year. The perfect place for us is the one where we can have something tasty to eat, dance and have fun (because I mean me and my cousin by "we")!

Second, for the rest of our stay we would like to visit non-touristic bars/pabs where we could feel REAL atmosphere of Czech republic. I am sure there are many of them (in Prague itself or any other nearby cities)!

I would really appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Just a quick response on pubs. If you go a few streets away from Wenceslas Square (Václavské námestí) or Old Town Square (Staroměstké náměstí) and the beer is less than 30kč, you're pretty sure it's not a pub aimed at tourists! If you go to Žižkov (take the number 9 tram from Wenceslas Square) there are probably three such pubs on every street!

3. koshka

koshka New Member

Thank you very much!

Is Polednikova your surname if I may ask?

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

No, Koshka, but to cut a long story short-ish, my Czech father was Rudolf Poledník. He got out of Czechoslovakia and spent WWII in the RAF, where he met my English mother and stayed in the UK. However, he changed his name to Chapman before I was born and hence I was never Poledníková. :( But now I live in Prague, I thought it was a good name for me to use on MyCzechRepublic.

And back onto Czech pubs, and in particular, pubs in Žižkov, here's a link for one our favourites, U Mariánského obrazu. It doesn't look as though there's an English version of the site which is surprising because they do have an English menu. As well as all the Czech favourites, they also do the best steaks in Prague and you won't find any tourists in there or even ex-pats. :wink:

www.umarianskehoobrazu.cz

5. koshka

koshka New Member