Transport from Airport to Central Prague

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Stargazer, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Stargazer

Stargazer Member

Hello All,

When I visit Prague I will be arriving on Christmas Eve 24th Dec. My hostel is Praha 2. I want to know how much it will cost to get there in CZK. I am on a low budget. Will I have to pay a lot for getting there on Christmas Eve?

I am presuming buses will be off. If not please let me know. Can you recommend a taxi service from the airport and will they be running? I'm sure other people will need a taxi as they are returning home for Christmas or going away for a Christmas break like myself.

I am aware there are pre-book services on the Internet, but dont want to be overcharged.

I am arriving from England. Arrival time will be 22:10 GMT(British time). The time in Praha is CET so I am presuming my time of arrival will be 23:10. One hour ahead of British time. Is this correct?

I hope you can please help me with information on this.

Thankyou in advance,
    Stargazer

2. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

usually the scheduled arrival time is always in local time.
    from london the flight should take 2 hours (and half?), anyway at that time, that day, I guess there won't be any public transport.

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Usually there is bus connection twice an hour during night, bus 510 to city center. During the day there is much more connection options. I guess buses should be in operation as usually, even if it is Christmas Eve.

Bus to city center costs less then one quid, cab about twenty. Ticket are to be purchased from ticket machines on the bus stop, coins only.

4. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

last xmas, in brno, after 19 on the 24th there wasn't any public bus.

5. Stargazer

Stargazer Member

I was thinking that some would be running. I know that when I usually go home to Ireland for Christmas they have lots of of buses running from the airport, even on Christmas eve as its really busy. I have done some research and there is a bus office at the airport. They speak English as well as Czech so will give them a call tomorrow to find out whats happening over the Christmas period.

Its seem strange that the machines would not take notes. I'll have to get change from a shop or cafe at the airport.

Thankyou Alexx for the help.

6. Stargazer

Stargazer Member

I telephoned the bus office and asked if they spoke English. She said only Czech. It does say on the web site they speak English. I did ask for an an English speaking operator, but she repeated Czech only.

Anyway I have looked at the Praha airport website and it states the
    100 and 119 buses are the most frequent to the city centre from the airport. I am hoping they will be operating on Christmas eve.

7. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts. There's a public transport information stand at the airport. They certainly speak English and you might be able to find a number for them.

And if you don't mind waiting, we've got visitors coming on 5 December and I'll be going to the airport to pick them up. If you haven't been able to find out by then, I'll ask while I'm waiting for them to come through customs.

8. Stargazer

Stargazer Member

That would be great. Thankyou for the help.

9. kickatat88

kickatat88 Member

Low Budget is my specialty i am a constant traveler in prague on low budget and it is fairly cheap place to go there is a bus i think the number is 119 or the AE (airport Express) and it will take you to holesovice then you can get on red metro headed towards I.P. Pavlova which is prague 2 if you are staying at miss sophies hostel it is just two blocks towards the river and down a street that looks like it angles back to ip pavlova like two buildings in it is cheapest if you do not take the cab and if you are looking for cheaper sirtobys hostel the sister hostel is 8 tram stops from town square and 2 maybe 3 us dollars less each night... that two or three us dollars could be a decent meal if you eat away from town square i definitely recommend coffee heaven its like 1 dollar less per coffee than starbucks and i think its better i hope this helps i might be a little late but maybe this will get to you while you are there

10. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a bit late because hopefully, Stargazer will be in the air by now! But I did find out about the bus/tram services today and sent a pm so with a bit of luck, all should be well, especially as the flight has been brought forward to this afternoon.