Favourite Pubs/Restaurants/Cafes in Prague

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Katie/Katerina, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Katie/Katerina

Katie/Katerina Active Member

I realise there are older (much older) posts on this topic, but as a raving mad foodie who loves Czech food, I though it might be useful (for me, if no one else!) to start a post about people's favourite eateries in Prague.

I have some of my own favourites, but it would be great to have the tips and advice of people living in Prague. I love pretty much all cuisines, though I'm not fond of Thai- I just don't like the coconut and lemongrass, which feature heavily- and love a bargain meal as much as treating myself to somewhere 'posh'!

So...

what are people's favourite places to eat, drink and be merry?

My own? I love 'U Provaznice'- at the Ropemakers-, just off Wenceslas Sq. by one of the entrances/exits to Mustek metro station. It's 50/50 full of tourists and locals, has a great, amazing value lunch menu, and a main menu that my boyfriend tells me matches the prices of the local hospody in the suburbs. The best thing? The beer- Pilsner and Gambrinus- was cheaper than his favourite local near Bohnice... and a majority of tourists never even realise it is 2 seconds away from the main hustle and bustle of Wenceslas Sq.

The food is amzing... if you happen to go, I recommend the barbeque pork knee, duck, or 'vepro, knedlo, zelo'.

www.uprovaznice.cz

Katie

2. Torgut

Torgut Active Member

Café Becher
    Well... no big deal, but it's around the corner, and they have Wi-Fi.

The Globe
    Anglo-saxonic atmosphere. The first place created for the american community who started to form here in the 90's. Bookstore in the entrance room.

Cafe Louvre
    A classic cafe, started in early 20th Century. Einstein and Kafka were usual customers. Shutted down during the communist area. Fair prices, classy atmosphere. Ice creams are a must.

Blatouch
    Cozy cafe, familiar atmosphere, free Wi-Fi. Non smokers room. Light food, good beer.

La Casa Blu
    South american atmosphere. The best nachos I had so far. Fresh and happy environment. Free Wi-Fi.

U Ferdinanda
    Well... just a local restaurant, serving the best goulash in the city. I go there once a week for it. Free Wi-Fi.

Botel Matylda
    Romantic and classy atmosphere. Excelent for reading during the winter, watching the rain or snow falling on the Vltava and having a glass of wine.

Kavarna Medusa
    Another cozy cafe. Excelent tea and food. Local beer. Most apropriate for reading. There is a room for non-smokers.

Kavarna Sudicka
    Yet another cozy cafe. Friendly and english speaking staff. Great selection of wine, coffee and tea. Free Wi-Fi. English newspapers and magazines. Very cheap. Also adequate for a meal.

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

And the best hot chocolate in Prague, by a mile. The only problem is that it can be quite noisy if you're trying to have a quiet conversation.

Is that the one in the street opposite Státní Opera? I went past it the other night and it looked nice. Will definitely try it after your recommendation.

Where are these two, Torgut?

4. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

I don't know Prauge really... I always go to this one across the river.. near to a book shop... it has a roof terrace.... I go there because it's the only place in the middle of Prauge I could find that doesn't charge me a weeks wages for a meal.

I know that's know good for directions but maybe someone else who has been there will know what I'm talking about..

5. Torgut

Torgut Active Member

U Ferdinanda is at Oplatlova, so yes, it's in the street opposote to Státni Opera, kind of.

Botel Matylda is close to the Dancing House and the "Veola" Tower.
    http://www.botelmatylda.cz/en/

Medusa is in Nam. Mirua area, in Belgicka street, righ side if you are walking from the square, in the second block.

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Gina, should we mention Pivovarsky klub? Or should we rather keep it secret?

7. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Ssshh! And there's one or two others I'll probably keep quiet about as well!