Lužické hory

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by rsalc1, May 31, 2009.

1. wer

wer Well-Known Member

“Porost” in its basic meaning is anything what grows on the surface of something, in derived meaning any thick growth.

hostit ~ be host to somebody, provide somebody with food/accomodation/…

Notice the different meaning of the word “host” in Czech and English:

host = guest
    hostitel = host

2. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

wer: Thanks for the explanation. Your colour-coding really helps.
    Thanks!

3. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Tady je 3. část članku. Here is part 3 of the article.
    I marked in green font the words that I don't know.

Nejkrásnější rozhled v Čechách
    Na Klíč vede červená turistická značka ze dvou stran - od jihu z Nového Boru (5 km) a od východu ze Svoru (2,5 km). Chodník protíná severní úbočí, na samotný vrchol vede významová odbočka v několika serpentinách. Výstup je poměrně náročný, což je dáno velmi exponovaným svahem, avšak pohodlný. Ze Svoru musíte počítat minimálně 45 až 60 minut, z Nového Boru zhruba hodinu a půl.

The most beautiful view in Bohemia
    A red tourist marker leads to Klíč from two sides – from Novy Bur on the south (5 km) and from Svur on the east (2,5 km). The path/walk-way crosses the northern slope (of the hill); and a significant (?) detour leads to the solitary peak in some double-bends (zigzag road). The climb is quite challenging, which is given by a very dangerous angle, however comfortable. (I don’t get it). From Svur you must calculate at least 45 to 60 minutes, from Novy Bur approximately one and a half hours.

Výhled z protáhlého vrcholového skaliska je dokonale kruhový a vůbec nic mu nebrání. Okolní stromy mají výšku přesně takovou, že nezaclánějí a přitom tvoří překrásné popředí dalekým výhledům. Rozhlédnete-li se do všech stran, uvidíte pestrou mozaiku krajinných tvarů, které v takové koncentraci a pravidelném rozložení snad nikde jinde nespatříte.

The view from the oblong, vertical ledge is quite circular (?) and nothing protects it at all. The nearby trees have almost such a height, that they screen (the light) and at the same time form a beautiful/lovely foreground to the far away view. If you look around in each side, you will see a colourful mosaic of scenic/landscape shapes which you cannot see anywhere else in such concentration and regular distribution.

Převládají zejména výrazné kuželovité kopce sopečného původu: na jihovýchodě Ralsko, Tlustec, Bezděz; na jihozápadě Vlhošť a Říp; na severozápadě až severovýchodě pásmo Lužických hor se Studencem, Jedlovou, Luží i Hvozdem. V mlžných dálkách rozeznáte placku Jizerských hor, vedle nich Krkonoše a špičku Ještědu, dále pak Kozákov, Milešovku a hradbu Krušných hor.

Distinctive conical hills of volcanic origin predominate especially (here): on the southwest Ralsko, Tlustec, Bezděz; on the southeast Vlhošť and Říp; on the norhtwest to the northeast the band/zone/area of the Lusatian Mountains with Studence, Jedlova, Luž and Hvozd. In the foggy distance you detect the mound (?) by Jizerska Mountains, near them, Krkonoše and and the summit of Ještěd, farther as well Kozákov, Milešovka and the bank/side (?) of Krušné Mountains.

Exotickou podívanou skýtá pohled k západu na stolové vrchy a plošiny v Českém i Saském Švýcarsku - Děčínský Sněžník, Grosser Zschirnstein, Zirkelstein a další. A to vše oblečené do převažující zelené barvy rozlehlých lesů. No prostě paráda!

The exotic sight/spectacle provides a view to the west to the _____ peaks and plateaus of Bohemian (Switzerland) and Saxon Switzerland - Děčínský Sněžník, Grosser Zschirnstein, Zirkelstein and others. And all that dressed/clad in the prevalent green colour of the extensive forests. Indeed, simply a pageant!
    (What is the difference between výhled and pohled?)

4. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

The most beautiful view in Bohemia

A red tourist marker leads to Klíč from two sides – from Nový Bor on the south (5 km) and from Svor on the east (2,5 km). The path/walk-way crosses the northern slope (of the hill); and a significant (?) detour leads to the solitary peak itself in some double-bends (zigzag road). The climb is quite challenging, which is given by a very dangerous (considerable, goodly, fairly big?) angle, however comfortable. (I don’t get it). From Svor you must calculate at least 45 to 60 minutes, from Nový Bor approximately one and a half hours.

nominative Svor, Bor, not Svůr, Bůr (although gramatically also possible)

The climb is challenging, however comfortable. :roll: Perhaps the path is like long stairs, exhausting, but not dangerous.

významová odbočka (terminus technicus) = odbočka značená významovou značkou (a detour/branch marked by a marker with a supplemental sign, e.g. for a peak, castle ruin, vista etc.)

5. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

bibax: thanks for the colour-coded explanation.
    I will rephrase the sentence above as:
    The climb is quite challenging, due to a fairly steep angle, but it is however comfortable :)
    or
    Due to a fairly steep angle, the climb is quite challenging, but comfortable.

6. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Výhled z protáhlého vrcholového skaliska (from the oblong/prolongated rock on the top/peak?) je dokonale kruhový (perfectly circular/panoramic/cycloramic?) a vůbec nic mu nebrání (nothing obstruct the view?). Okolní stromy mají výšku přesně (exactly such a height) takovou, že nezaclánějí (they do not block the view) a přitom tvoří překrásné popředí dalekým výhledům. Rozhlédnete-li se do všech stran, uvidíte pestrou mozaiku krajinných tvarů, které v takové koncentraci a pravidelném rozložení snad nikde jinde nespatříte.

Převládají zejména výrazné kuželovité kopce sopečného původu: na jihovýchodě Ralsko, Tlustec, Bezděz; na jihozápadě Vlhošť a Říp; na severozápadě až severovýchodě pásmo (range?) Lužických hor se Studencem (nom. Studenec), Jedlovou, Luží i Hvozdem. V mlžných dálkách (in the misty/vapoury distance/range?) rozeznáte placku Jizerských hor (flat edge/range of Jizera Mountains), vedle nich Krkonoše (Giant M.) a špičku Ještědu, dále pak Kozákov, Milešovku a hradbu Krušných hor (Ore M.).

Exotickou podívanou skýtá pohled k západu na stolové vrchy (mesas < Lat. mensa = table) a plošiny v Českém i Saském Švýcarsku - Děčínský Sněžník, Grosser Zschirnstein, Zirkelstein a další. A to vše oblečené do převažující zelené barvy rozlehlých lesů. No prostě paráda!

7. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Tady je 4. lanku. Here is part 4 of the article.
    I found this part difficult to translate and I am missing many words in the English version.

I marked words that I don't know in green font.

Kde se vzal Klíč?
    Přírodní rezervace Klíč byla vyhlášena roku 1967 na ploše 9 ha. Předmětem ochrany (what is the subject?) je především teplomilná doubrava na jižním svahu pod vrcholem, která patří k nejvýše položeným v Čechách. Na skalní stěně rostou vzácné druhy rostlin, například hvězdnice alpská, kapradinka skalní a česnek pažitka horský. Zoologický průzkum odhalil 50 druhů obratlovců, v sutích byly nalezeny horské druhy brouků. Z důvodu ochrany přírody platí zákaz horolezectví (is this the subject?).

Where _______ Klíč?
    Nature reservation Klíč was announced in 1967 on a 9 hectare ________. With the topic of guardianship/preservation is above all(I dont' get it) warm-loving oak trees on the southern slope below the summit, which is one of the highest located in Bohemia. On the face rock grow rare/unusual kinds of plants, for example Alpine _____, rock ferns(?) and highland garlic chives(?). A zoological investigation disclosed 50 genera of vertebrates, in ____ were found mountain genera of beetles. Out of reasons of nature conservation ______ a ban on mountain climbing/Alpinism.

Název hory evokuje představu klíče, kterým se odemykají nebo zamykají dveře. To je ovšem omyl. Původ slova souvisí údajně s praslovanským výrazem "ključ", což bývalo označení pro pramen vody. Německý "Kleis" se poprvé objevuje na mapách v roce 1720, český "Klíč" až v turistickém průvodci roku 1928.

The name of the mountain evokes the idea of a key, with which doors are locked or unlocked. This is of course a mistake. The origin of the word relates allegedly to the ___________ expression “ključ”, which became a name/meaning for spring waters. The German “Kleis” appears in maps for the first time in 1720, the Czech "Klíč" in a tourist guidebook in 1928.

Vydatné prameny se na západním úpatí Klíče skutečně vyskytují a v minulosti byly podchyceny pro novoborský vodovod. Půjdete-li cestou z Nového Boru, minete několikrát budovy starých vodojemů a narazíte také na dvě studánky, nabízející příjemné osvěžení. Druhá z nich - zvaná Kamzičí - vyvěrá při úpatí mohutného suťového pole pokrývajícího západní svah Klíče.

Copious/profuse springs abound indeed on the western foothills of Klíč and in the past they were ________ for the (main) water-pipe of Nový Bor. If you go (by way) from Nový Bor, ______ a few buildings of old cisterns and will also bump into two wells/fountains, offering pleasant recreation. The second (one of them) - called Kamzičí – rises/springs forth ____ the foothills ______________ field covering the western uphill of Klíč.

Rozhodně se vyplatí popojít pár desítek metrů na okraj lesa a podívat se na monumentální kamenný útvar zblízka. Při troše štěstí spatříte i kamzíky, kteří byli do Lužických hor uměle vysazeni na počátku 20. století. Jejich oblíbeným životním prostorem je právě vrch Klíč. Sutě a kamenná pole tvoří zároveň příhodné podmínky pro život brouků a pavouků.

In any case, it is worth it to move forward a few meters to the edge of the forest to watch the monumental rock formation up close/close-up. With a little luck (?) you will see/behold as well _____, which were artificially ______ in the Lusatian Mountains at the beginning of the Twentieth Century. Their popular ____ area is right at the summit of Klíč. ____ and stone fields create simultaneously fitting conditions for life beetles of and bees. (this one was difficult for me)

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

“Vzít se” means “come/arise from” or “spring/crop up”.

vyhlásit = proclaim, promulgate, establish (by legal promulgation)

lit. on the area of 9 hectars

ploše … locative of plocha

The oak wood is the object of (legal) protection.

Aster alpinus, Woodsia ilvensis and Allium_schoenoprasum

Czechs use this vocabulary on daily basis. :roll:

sutích … plural locative of suť (= scree, detritus)

v sutích = in/on the scree slopes (in this context!)

Out of reasons of nature conservation, a ban on mountain climbing/Alpinism is in force (lit. applies).

pra- … prefix meaning ancient (compare prazdroj, praotec, prababička, praprababička, prales, prahory…; it is more or less equivalent to German “Ur-”: Urquell, Urvater, Urgroßmutter, Urwald, Urgebirge…)

slovanský = Slavic

praslovanský = Old-Slavic

9. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

wer: great explanation. Thank you!

Here is the last part of the article. I had some trouble translating it. Měl jsem nějaké potíže u(?) překládu.

Krajina Českosaského Švýcarska
    Na vrcholu Klíče se v průběhu let také vystřídaly zajímavé stavby. Podle pověstí zde stával hrad, jeho existenci se ovšem nepodařilo doposud potvrdit. Od poloviny 19. století tu však dočasně fungovalo několik dřevěných chatek nabízejících turistům úkryt a někdy i občerstvení.

The landscape of Czech-Saxon Switzerland
    On the summit of Klíč, in the course of years, __________ interesting buildings/structures. According to legend there was a castle here, whose existence of course has not ____ confirmed to this day. From the (later) half of the 19th Century here several wooden cabins operated here provisionally offering tourists lodging and sometimes refreshments.

Po vybudování serpentinové stezky, která slouží mimochodem dodnes, roku 1893 se tu dokonce dva roky čepovalo pivo. Poslední chatka z roku 1910 byla z nařízení vojenských orgánů roku 1938 zlikvidována. Plány na výstavbu dalších staveb se od té doby již nerealizovaly.

In 1893, after the construction of a winding/zigzag trail that by the way serves to this day, even beer was served here even for 2 years(?). The last cabin (dating) from the year 1910 was demolished(?) in 1938 by edict of the military authorities. Plans for the construction of other structures/buildings have not been realized since that time.

Vrchol Klíče si tedy můžete vychutnat v jeho ryzí a civilizací jen málo dotčené podobě - k posezení slouží pouze šedá znělcová skála.

Therefore you must enjoy the summit of Klíč in its authenticity (?) and civilization only a little ___________ - only a grey _____ rock serves/is suitable for sitting.

KONEC - THE END

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I find no elegant translation for this. :D

“Vystřídat” means substitute, alternate, supersede, succeed…

In this sentence, it is used as reflexive verb which means that every interesting building superseded the previous interesting building.

So, the English translation could be something like:

On the summit of Klíč there were a lot of interesting buildings/structures, each one superseding the previous one.

nepodařit se = to not to succeed , to fail

You could translate it simply as negation, or restylize the sentence a little:

all attempts to prove the existence have failed so far

11. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the colour-coded explanation.
    Yes, I agree with your comment about beer on tap. :)
    For Czech, and for non-Czech alike :D, beer on tap is better than bottled beer. :!: