railway stations in Česko

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by rsalc1, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Below is Part 1 of an article that I have translated from Czech into English. I marked in green font words that I did not understand.

I will appreciate corrections!

The original is at:
    http://cestovani.idnes.cz/ktere-nad...1dp-/igcechy.asp?c=A090605_135212_igcechy_tom

Které nádraží v Česku je nejkrásnější?
    Which railway station in Czech is the most beautiful?

6. června 2009
    Krásné nádraží nemusí být to největší a nejmodernější. Kdo cestuje po železnici, dobře ví, že v Česku jsou nádražíčka a stanice, z kterých se nepospíchá. Přitom stačí málo - čistá lavička, cukrárna, květiny, úsměv výpravčího.
    A beautiful railway station doesn’t have to be the biggest or most modern. Whoever travels by railway knows well, that in Czech there are small stations and stations from which one doesn’t hurry. At that, very little is enough: a clean seat, a cake shop, flowers, and a smile of the station inspector.

Soutěž o titul nejkrásnější nádraží
    V České republice je přes 2000 nádraží a železničních stanic. Zatímco na některých čekají cestující na vlak jako na smilování a toalety využijí i v nouzi jen ti nejotrlejší, jiná nádraží vám přirostou okamžitě k srdci.
    The contest for the title of most beautiful railway station.
    In the Czech Republic there are more than 2000 stations and railway stations. Whereas on some stations passengers wait for a train ___________ and they use the toilets ________________, other stations grown on your heart immediately.

Neziskové sdružení Asociace Entente Florale CZ - Souznění proto letos pořádá již 3. ročník 'Soutěže o titul nejkrásnější nádraží'. "Příjemných nádraží je po republice spousta. Cílem soutěže je tato nádraží vyhledávat, dávat tak dobré příklady jiným a poděkovat touto formou těm, kteří se na jejich dobrém stavu podílejí," uvedl Pavel Bureš, vedoucí projektu Vlídná nádraží, v jehož rámci anketa probíhá.
    "Oceňujeme hlavně atmosféru nádraží, čistotu, vztah zaměstnanců k cestujícím, služby. Místo by mělo být určitý genius loci, kvůli kterému se sem lidé rádi vracejí," vysvětlil Pavel Bureš.
    Nádraží může do soutěže nominovat kdokoli, např. cestující či pracovníci nádraží. Letos přišlo zhruba 50 tipů, z kterých odborná porota sdružení vybrala 10 finalistů. O konečném vítězi pak bude rozhodovat do 10. června veřejnost hlasováním. Slavnostní vyhlášení výsledků proběhne 18. června v Senátu ČR.

The non-profit association Asociace Entente Florale CZ - Souznění therefore arranged this year the third _____ of a contest for the title of most beautiful railway station. "There are many pleasant stations all along the republic. The goal of the contest is to locate that station, to give such good examples to others and to thank by that mold those which partake in their good ______," mentioned Pavel Bureš, leader of the project Nice Station, in whose framework that survey takes place.

Finalisté 3. ročníku soutěže
    Titulem nejkrásnějšího nádraží z roku 2007 se pyšní Ostroměř, v roce 2008 zvítězilo nádraží Trutnov. Přinášíme vám přehled letošních finalistů.
    Finalists of the third yearly (?) contest
    Ostroměř claimed the title of most beautiful station in the year 2007 , the station of Trutnov won in 2008. We bring (?) to you a list of this year’s finalists.

Davle
    Romantické nádražíčko na trati Posázavského pacifiku dýchá atmosférou starých časů. Zaměstnanci udržují čistotu, pečují o květinovou výzdobu a pravidelně obnovují informace o posázavské trati. Stanici, která se využívá hlavně pro osobní dopravu, vyhledávají pro zachovaný původní ráz také filmaři. O víkendech sem míří řada výletníků.

Davle
    The romantic small station on the track of ______________ inspires (?) of an old-time atmosphere. Workers maintain cleanliness, take care of floral decorations and regularly update information about ______ tracks. Stations that are used mainly for the transportation of people ________ for well-preserved original ____ also film makers (I don’t get it). On weekends a number of tourists/sightseers come here.

Frýdek - Místek
    Zdařile zrekonstruované nádraží na trati Valašské Meziříčí - Ostrava s odbočkou do Českého Těšína. Cestující oceňují prostornou halu, trafiku, dobře čitelné informační tabule, obchůdek s občerstvením, pekařství i cukrárnu. Nádraží je útulné a čisté, příjemné prostředí včetně toalet. Nový podchod a schody na peróny zvýšily bezpečnost cestujících. Před nádražím je upravený parčík.
    Frýdek - Místek
    The successfully reconstructed station on the track of Valašské Meziříčí – Ostrava, on the branch-line to Český Těšín. Passengers rate(?) the spacius hall, the traffic, the readable information boards, _______ with refreshments, bakery and cake shop. The station is cozy and clean, pleasant surroundings, including toilet (WC). A new underpass and stairs on the platforms increase passenger. In front of the station is a remodeled(?) small park.

Hamry - Hojsova Stráž
    Malé nádraží leží v lesích Královského hvozdu na Šumavě. Je výchozím místem k mnoha turistickým cílům v CHKO Šumava, jen pár kilometrů odsud leží Černé a Čertovo jezero.
    Nádražní budova z roku 1915 byla nedávno opravena. Cestující oceňují přívětivý personál a květinovou výzdobu - záhon, popínavé muškáty a jinou květenu, o kterou pečují zdejší zaměstnanci. Neméně pěkné je drobné bílé kvítí, které s každým jarem rozkvétá téměř v celém kolejišti.

Hamry - Hojsova Stráž
    The small station lies in the woods of the Královský forest on Šumava. It is a starting point to many tourist destinations in CHKO Šumava; only a few kilometers from here lies the lake Černé a Čertovo.
    The station building from the year 1915 was recently repaired. Passengers rate the friendly staff and the floral arrangements – flower bed, climbing geraniums and other flowers, which is taken care of by the staff here. No less than pretty is the tiny white flowers, which bloom with each (passing) year almost in the entire yard.

Choceň
    Železniční stanice v Chocni, ležící na hlavní trati z Prahy do České Třebové, prošla v letech 2003 - 2005 náročnou rekonstrukcí. Výsledkem je moderní bezbariérové nádraží, kudy vlaky mohou jezdit rychlostí 160 km/hod.
    Citlivou úpravou také prošla velká výpravní budova z konce 70. let 19. století, která si i po přestavbě uchovala historický novorenesanční vzhled. V létě cestující na nádraží potěší květinová výzdoba. Hezké výchozí místo k výletům do údolí Tiché Orlice.

Choceň
    The railway station in Choceň, located on the main track from Prague to Česká Třebová, underwent a demanding reconstruction in the summer 2003 through 2005. _________ is a modern station without barriers, to which trains can go at a speed of 160 km/h.
    A large ______ building, which after remodeling _____________ historical new-Renaissance features (I don’t get it), also underwent subtle alterations since the end of the 1970s. In the summer passengers at the station are delighted by the floral arrangements. A nice starting point to excursions to the valley Tiché Orlice.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

CHKO = Chráněná krajinná oblast (Preserved landscape area)

It is pretty long so I might have missed something.

3. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Alexx, thanks for the great explanations! It really helps me understand the article and build up my vocabulary.
    Muchísimas gracias. Tus explicaciones me han ayudado mucho :!:
    Děkuju pěkně. Tvá vystvětlení jsou skvělá a pomohají mi vylepšit můj seznám slov.

*You had it right: "The ... train station... gives you the feeling of old times"

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

vocabulary = slovní zásoba

... pomáhají mi vylepšit moji slovní zásobu

5. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for correcting my Czenglish :D
    Now I can add "vocabulary = slovní zásoba" to my vocabulary :wink:

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

or to your "wordlist" :wink:

7. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Here is part 2 of the article.
    It talks about 2 train stations... not to difficult to translate,but I still did not get a few words.

Can you help? :)

Kamenice nad Lipou
    Stanice je jednou z mála dochovaných typických českých lokálkových staniček, které si dodnes zachovaly svoji tvář a svůj význam osobitého druhu městské brány.
    Hned vedle výpravní stanice stojí historická tiskárna lepenkových jízdenek, jediná v Česku.
    Všechny budovy ve stanici jsou vzorně opravené a udržované, včetně sociálního zařízení. Cestující mohou využít čistou a v zimě vytápěnou čekárnu s květinovou výzdobou. Ve stanici je možné si koupit zmrzlinu, pohledy, literaturu o úzkokolejce a další suvenýry.

Kamenice nad Lipou
    The station is one of few extant/preserved typical Czech local small stations, which to this day conserves/preserves its shape and its meaning of individual species of city gate(I don’t get it).
    Right next to the departure station stands the historical cardboard ticket printing press, the only one in Czech.
    All the buildings in the station have been _____ repaired and maintained, including the social(?) conveniences. Passengers can use the clean, and in winter the heated, waiting room with floral arrangements. In the station it is possible to buy ice cream, postcards, literature about narrow-gauge railway, and other souvenirs.

Lednice na Moravě
    Jeden z mála zachovaných objektů, dokladujících architekturu tohoto typu z 19.století, s mnohými zdobnými prvky z původní místní lichtenštejnské cihelny.
    Nádraží je malebné nejen svým vzhledem, ale také skutečností, že je konečnou stanicí úžasné trati vedoucí kulturní krajinou světové památky UNESCO - Lednicko-valtickým areálem a ač zde trať končí a využívá se pouze v době turistické sezony, jeho stav přesvědčuje o významu, který mu obec přikládá.

Lednice na Moravě
    One of the few extant objects of recrded architecture of that type of the 19th century, with many ornate ______ of the original local brick-kiln of Lichtenstein.
    The station is colourful, not only in its features, but also _____ that it is the final station of the wonderful track that leads to the cultural scenery of the world monument UNESCO - Lednicko-valtickým _____ and although here ends the track, and it is used only during the tourist season, its state attests to the importance, which the village attributes(?) to it.

Lednice na Moravě - Railway Station (a photo - this is just South of Brno)
    [​IMG]

8. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I like the names of the train stations.
    Small stones over Lipa.
    Icehouse in(on) Moravia.

Nice train station...The geometric patterns painted on it , it almost looks as though it has Islamic roots.
    Of course that would be wrong, but still, it resembles the repetitive patterns found in mosques and palices.

René, Look for you tube clips about the movie Ostře sledování vlaky.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

10. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

Well, there is a minaret in Lednice which was built on the grounds of the chateau.

"There have been many disputes about the origin of the minaret. Alois Liechtenstein originally wished to build a church, but could not get any land from the municipality for the construction. He decided to build the symbol of Islam on his estate in revenge. The minaret is the oldest preserved lookout tower in the Czech Republic, and it belongs among the highest buildings of its type in a non-Islamic country."

http://czech.titio.cz/en/culture/most-b ... valtice?i=

Of course this has nothing to do with the train station... :wink:

11. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

How about brána as entrance? "Station is special kind of entrance to the town." Because you use it to enter the village..

12. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

That works. Thanks!

13. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I was looking at that areal map of Lednička a Valtice.
    I saw this....Apolónův Chram....Apolos' Temple.
    I find that an interesting concept. I was able to find a picture of it
    through google. :D

14. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Lednice has some interesting sights!

15. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Alexxi, Díky za mapu a taky za vyborné vysvětlení!

Is there political correctness in the Czech Republic?!?! :shock:

16. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Here is part 3 of the article (this is the final part).

Please help me with the words highlighted in green :)

Litice nad Orlicí
    Železniční stanice Litice nad Orlicí se nachází na trati mezi Žamberkem a Doudlebami nad Orlicí. Výpravní budova prošla nedávno rekonstrukcí. Nádraží leží v nádherném údolí řeky Orlice a je výchozím místem například pro výlet na známý hrad Litice. Ve stanici slouží samí příjemní výpravčí.

Litice nad Orlicí
    The railway station of Litice nad Orlicí is located on the track between Žamberk and Doudlebami nad Orlicí. The departure building recently underwent reconstruction. The station lies in a delightful valley of the river Orlice and is the starting point for example for excursions/trips to the well-known castle of Litice. In the station serve only friendly (?) station inspectors/guards(?)

Šumperk
    Městečko je právem nazýváno bránou Jeseníků. Nově zrekonstruované nádraží se opět stalo dominantou města a je důstojným přestupním místem návštěvníků hor.
    Vestibul nádraží Šumperk je velmi reprezentativní, opravený v původním duchu. Cestující jsou spokojení se službami i s novým vybavením. "Nádraží si zachovalo historický ráz a je opravdu krásné."

Šumperk
    The small town is rightly called the gate of Jeseník. The newly reconstructed station has become again the dominant feature of the town and is a dignified stojným transfer place of visitors (who come to) the mountains.
    The entrance of Šumperk station is very representative, repaired to its original appearance. Passngers are pleased with the accommodations and new amenities. "The station retains its historical character and is really beautiful."

Zábřeh na Moravě
    Čisté upravené nádraží na trati Praha - Olomouc. Citlivě obnovená historická památkově chráněná budova je propojená s novou, moderní výpravní budovou, ve které je odbavovací hala. Zrekonstruováno je také tzv. Kleinovo skladiště, rovněž památkově chráněné.
    Nádraží poskytuje velmi dobrý standard služeb pro cestující. Přívětivý personál v dubnu roku 2009 přislíbil letničkovou květinovou výzdobu.

Zábřeh na Moravě
    A clean, tidy station on the Prague – Olomouc track. Sensibly restored the historical listed building is interconnected with a new, modern, departing building, in which there is a je check in hall. Reconstructed is also the so called Kleinovo storeroom, as well as _____________________.
    The station allows a very good standard of service for passengers. The friendly staff in 2009 promised a _______ floral arrangement.

Zahrádky u České Lípy
    Železniční stanice Zahrádky u České Lípy leží na jednokolejné trati Lovosice - Česká Lípa hl.n.. V současné době zde slouží v nepřetržitém provozu čtyři zaměstnankyně s obsluhou mechanického přejezdového zabezpečovacího zařízení (= ručně klikou). Železniční stanice dnes plní funkci hlásky a zastávky. Zaměstnankyně se starají o dopravní provoz a úklid prostorů pro cestující. Cestujícím je k dispozici čekárna.
    Stanice je hojně využívána především turisty, kteří odtud míří do malebného okolí. Jen kousek odtud začíná naučná stezka Peklo proslulá na jaře koberci (which case???) bledulí.

Zahrádky u České Lípy
    The railway station Zahrádky u České Lípy lies on single-line track Lovosice - Česká Lípa hl.n. Currently four female employees serve here full-time with the crew of mechanical crossing safety equipment (= manual crank). The railway station today fulfills the function of _____ and stop. The employees take care of traffic duties and cleaning the area for passengers. A waiting room is at available for passengers.
    The station is used very much, above all by tourists, who head from here to scenic nearby areas. Only _______ from here begins the educational foot trail Peklo famous for a carpet of snowflakes in spring.

17. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

výpravčí je člověk, který vypravuje vlaky ze stanice - mávne a vlak se může rozjet - probably "station dispatcher ".

"rovněž památkově chráněné. " also historicaly protected.
    "památkově chráněné objekty - listed buildings"

letničkovou - adjective of letnička - flover that lasts only one year.

dont understand "s obsluhou part" - "obsluhující" would make more sence..
    mechanické přejezdové zabezpečovací zařízení = závora
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbtnb0Oezmk - whole proces of operating "závora" with "ruční klika" :)

Hláska od slova hlásit - to report - not sure what does it mean in railway slang but in medieval it was small castle.

kousek - small "kus" = short distance

proslulá kým? čím? koberci - 7. pád, množné číslo.

18. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Díky za vysvětlení a taky za zájimavé video na youtube o tom, jak se obsluhuje závoru ručně klikou :)
    Thanks for the explanation and also for the youtube video about how to operate a (railway crossing) gate with a manual crank.

19. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Tady jsou nějaké opravy o angličtině.

20. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Jeseník … town, district
    Jeseníky … mountains
    Nízký Jeseník … mountains
    Hrubý Jeseník … mountains

pruslulý + instrumental = famous/renowned/well-known for something

It was the watchtower actually, but it is truth that some of the medieval strongholds were in form of one single watchtower.