Rhymes in English

Do you have any questions about the English language? Are you an English speaker who can answer them? Please post here.
GlennInFlorida

Postby GlennInFlorida » 17-Jul-09 13:50

Just remember, y'all is always plural. It is never used by Southerners to address a single individual, despite the way actors on TV and in the movies (usually written by someone not from the South) use it. :wink:
"Life is a banquet... and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame
Sova

Postby Sova » 17-Jul-09 17:19

GlennInFlorida wrote:Just remember, y'all is always plural. It is never used by Southerners to address a single individual, despite the way actors on TV and in the movies (usually written by someone not from the South) use it. :wink:

Not true, at least not in Texas. Y'all can be used as a singular form there as well. Yeah, I know, I was confused, too, the first time some Texan called me "y'all," thinking, "Who else is he talking to? There's no one else here!" :lol:

Also, note the difference between "y'all" and its always-plural form "all y'all." :)
GlennInFlorida

Postby GlennInFlorida » 17-Jul-09 17:55

Well, Texans can be particularly odd (I lived in Houston for six years so I know) and I really don't consider them Southerners. :)
"Life is a banquet... and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame
Sova

Postby Sova » 18-Jul-09 1:01

HaHa! Yeah, that's why on their tourist ads, they use the slogan, "It's a whole other country."
rsalc1

Postby rsalc1 » 21-Jul-09 2:00

Sova wrote:
GlennInFlorida wrote:Just remember, y'all is always plural. It is never used by Southerners to address a single individual, despite the way actors on TV and in the movies (usually written by someone not from the South) use it. :wink:

Not true, at least not in Texas. Y'all can be used as a singular form there as well. Yeah, I know, I was confused, too, the first time some Texan called me "y'all," thinking, "Who else is he talking to? There's no one else here!" :lol:

Also, note the difference between "y'all" and its always-plural form "all y'all." :)

I had never heard that one before, and I live in the South (in Florida).
That's funny: y'all can be singular and "all y'all" is its plural. :D
Pravý přítel přijde když všichni odejdou.
Jana

Postby Jana » 21-Jul-09 8:19

Getting back to the original topic of this thread - does anybody know a word rhyming with mercury or silver?
"Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."
rsalc1

Postby rsalc1 » 21-Jul-09 13:51

Jana wrote:Getting back to the original topic of this thread - does anybody know a word rhyming with mercury or silver?

Apparently there are no words that rhyme with mercury or silver.

See http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi
Sova

Postby Sova » 21-Jul-09 15:45

Jana wrote:Getting back to the original topic of this thread - does anybody know a word rhyming with mercury or silver?

From OED, "dicky-dilver" (in dialect, another name for the periwinkle), and "chilver" (Old English, still used in some southern [England] dialects, for a ewe-lamb). Yeah, it's a stretch, I know. All the other entries are for "*ilver" are derivatives of "silver."

I couldn't find one for "mercury."
Jana

Postby Jana » 21-Jul-09 17:02

Thank you both - and what about purple?
"Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."
rsalc1

Postby rsalc1 » 21-Jul-09 19:14

For purple there are no perfect rhymes (no other English word ends in "rple"), however there are many rhymes for words ending in "ple".

You can find them at: onelook.com/?w=*ple&scwo=1&sswo=1&scwo=1&sswo=0
Pravý přítel přijde když všichni odejdou.