Visa to the U.S. - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by MichaelaZ, Jul 21, 2009.

1. MichaelaZ

MichaelaZ Member

Hi everybody.
    I am Czech living in the U.S. I would like for my parents to come visit me next year but I am not sure if its better for them to get visa or shoot for the non-visa entrance. Actually my Mom got visa last year so it would just be my Dad. I read the conditions for receiving the registration for the non-visa entrance but it seems to me that applying for visa would actually be easier. Does anybody have an experience with this (new non-visa) thing?
    Thanks so much!
    Michaela

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I applied for "non-visa thing" few days ago, it takes few (like three or so) minutes to fill the form (also in czech), and you get response (approved/declined) immediately.

See: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Piece of cake comparing to any visit of US embassy or even trip to Vienna to get canadian visa.

3. MichaelaZ

MichaelaZ Member

Thank you for your answer. I was just wondering if with the non-visa option there is a higher risk of being rejected or denyed entrence to the U.S. (at the U.S. airport).

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

That I cannot say it is true or false. I was not in the US yet.

5. Kristiana

Kristiana New Member

Hey Alexx,

I advice that your Dad should get a US Visa, since that will give him a sure entry in US. This may take time but it guarantee him a sure and secure and legal entry.

You can also visit the US Embassy on their site.

Hope this helps.

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

My dad is not planing trip to the US in foreseeable future :), MichaelaZ's is. But it does not matter, what makes you think visa does (and ESTA does not) guarantee sure and secure and legal entry???

Airport imigration officer can refuse you to enter even if you have visa (= visa does not guarantee you entry).

7. MichaelaZ

MichaelaZ Member

Hi Alexx.
    Im just writing as a follow up your trip on the non-visa registration. Has it happend yet? How did it go? Did you have any problems? Hopefully everything went smooth and you enjoyed your trip.
    Michaela

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Not yet, I am going in mid November. India and Rome have to go first :)