Limonádový Joe - Gvendolin

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Eleshar, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jvs9vUd_mY

From the film "Limonádový Joe aneb Koňská opera", a very succesful Czech parody to American westerns. In this scene the main villain masked as an old blind man recounts his past and future to the beloved girl of the main hero. The language is often colloquial and sometimes the expressions need explanation.

- Prokletý alkohol!
    - A karban1, milostslečno, karban, pošilháváním do cizích karet při chatrném osvětlení přišel jsem o zrak. A potom...
    - Potom...?
    - Gvendolin. Andělská Gvendolin, tak těžce nesla snoubencovu zkázu, že chřadla a chřadla, až...
    - Až...?
    - Co až?
    - Až...
    - Až uchřadla. Vidím to před sebou, jako by to bylo dnes. Jdu rovnou ze špitálu2. Tam v jeho smutnejch zdích leží na pitevním stole děvče bílý jako sníh...

Včera řek' mi vo ní doktor: "Je to s ní moc nahnutý"3

Dneska najdu její tělo prostěradlem přikrytý

Zejtra bude na krchově4 devět děvčat, devět děvčat jako květ,

ale z krchova jen vosum5 se jich potom vrátí zpět.

Mně před očima rázem zčernal celej svět,

teď už je mi všecko šmafů6, teď už můžu zcepenět7.

Až jednou sklapnu paraple8, to bude legrace,

to bude teda funus9, no zkrátka senzace,

teda do rakve chci žaket10 a zlatý prsteny,

aby vyštafírovaly11 moje tělo studený.

Ten luxus, ten je nutnej aby pámbu12 pochopil

jak velkej sem byl sekáč13, jak nóbl jsem si žil.

Ten funus jenom tenkrát se doopravdy vydaří,

jestli rakev ponesou mi čtyři těžký valchaři14.

A že jsem vždycky tropil jenom samou nezdobu,

tak slečny z tingl-tanglu15 mě šoupnou do hrobu.

A potom černá kapela16 to všechno dorazí,

až na krchově spustí prvotřídní odvazy17.

Tak už jsem teda skončil ten srdceryvnej blues,

kerej je tak hrozně smutnej jako funebráckej vůz18.

- Ubohý muži, jak jste trpěl...
    - Trpěl jsem, trpěl. Ale jak vidím, ehm, totiž jak slyším, váš kapesník je zcela promočen. Vyplakala jste do něho celé své zlaté srdéčko. Smím vám nabídnout svůj, čistý a neposkvrněný jako vy sama?
    - Dík, díky.
    - Jen inhaluj, krasotinko!

2 - špitál = nemocnice (hospital)

3 - "je to s někým nahnuté" = someone is about to experience something very unpleasant (in this case... death)

4 - krchov = hřbitov (graveyard)

5 - osm

6 - "je mi to šumafuk" = I don't give a shit about it

7 - zcepenět = stiffen ( = die)

8 - sklapnout paraple = another jolly expression for dying

9 - funus = pohřeb (funeral)

10 - žaket = jacket

11 - vyštafírovat = attire/clad someone very nicely

12 - pámbu = Pán Bůh

13 - sekáč = hotshot (newly a truncation for "second hand", but not here)

14 - valchař - not sure about this one, most Czech do not know the word and neither do I... perhaps it is something like worker... or it has a connection with verb "valchovat"?

15 - tingl-tangl = cabaret

16 - black music band = the funeral orchestra

17 - odvaz - something like "music hit" in this sense

18 - pohřební vůz = funeral car

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Lemonade Joe is not new for scrimshaw and others, but this song was not discussed so far.

We should add also that the villain deliberately mispronounce to sound like a lisping old man, so don’t take it as a norm.

Why excessive? Any card playing is “karban”.

“Valcha” is Prague underworlds’ argotic term for an illegal or semilegal gambling session. A typical “valcha” is hold in privacy of somebody’s home, but it could be even in some pub or bar. Some of the underworlds’ pubs were even called so.

“Valchař” is either organizer or attendant of such a session, simply a gambler.

3. Eleshar

It seems I should renew my connections to the Prague underworld... my knowledge of argot needs to be updated :lol:

Anyway, the song is in my opinion quite difficult, so if someone does not understand, don't worry about that. I plan on adding some of the other songs from the film in near future.

4. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

To je potom příklad českého breptání?
    To je legrace jak dívka plače po slepecově smutném příběhem.
    To je prvotřidné hrání. :lol:

Zdá se mi, že jeho řeč je směs češtiný a angličtiny.

Slepec nebyl dobrosrdečný starec jak poprvé vypadal.

Byli jste schopni rozumět slovům v tom filmovém záměru, který jsem dal na fóru?
    Použil slova jako, low down, sidewinder(type of desert snake), dadgum it,
    hornswagglin', bushwackin', cracker croakin',

It was authentic frontier gibberish.

5. Eleshar

It is an example of an old toothles man speaking (or rather example of an actor performing a role of a villain fully capable of normal speech, trying to pretend an old toothless manspeaking :D ). It is called "šišlání" (lisping).

The man in your post was quite difficult to understand, but I would not call his speech gibberish at all, I would call it plain and simple hypo-articulation (which is indeed quite symptomatic for you Americans, I am affraid, but not to such an extent).

6. scrimshaw

To je nejlepší příklad šišlání, jaké jsem kdy viděl. :D

I had to look up hypoarticulation in the dictionary.
    Under pronouncing words? Not fully pronouncing them?

Well that fellow had a very severe case of hypoarticulation. :lol:

7. Eleshar

Hypoarticulation is generally just a neglectful pronunciation... consonant clusters are reduced, vowel qualities merge with one another, the buccal muscles are loosened and the overall inteligibilty of the utterance suffers. Most often, natives don't have problems understanding a hypoarticulated speech, in fact, some degree of hypoarticulation as quite normal if a person speaks casually because not all the acoustic information conveyed by the standard pronunciation is necessary for a clear comprehension. But some people are just omitting too much of it and while it still may be comprehensible to a native speaker (or... hearer, in this case:)), it does not usually sound very pleasant to his ear, unrefined as it may be.

8. scrimshaw

So, when a person hypoarticulates too much, it then becomes mostly incoherent sounds to anyone who is not really familiar with the language.

I saw on the internet once a similar concept but it dealt with reading.

The human eye sees what it expects to see.

There is a paragraph with a whole bunch of misspelled words.
    But the sentences flow perfectly. Our eyes overlook the mistakes.
    But when it says to read it again....then all the errors can be clearly seen.

The human mind is a funny thing.

9. Eleshar

I would rather say "incomprehensible" than "incoherent"...

Yes, it functions in a similar way... you receive a phonetic information but from the context and your knowledge of the code (language) you are able to deduce much that is lost or not present... our teacher of phonetics mentioned a colleague of his that had some presentation on a congress. She noticed she was quite in a hurry, so she spoke rather quickly. He remarked that she had reduced for example the phrase "to znamená" to something like /toza:/ with a highly nasalised final "á", but still it was completely intelligible (in the context of the utterance, of course... when isolated, it would sound very strange and no one would be able to identify what it was).

In English it can be extended even more, because you do not need vowels so much to identify your words, so you can meld their qualities... a good illustration (although not very precise, considering the vast gap between English orthography and English pronunciation) is wh0n y00 s0bst0t0t0 0v0r0 v0w0l b0 s0m0 d0mm0 s0mb0l r whn y jst wrt n vwls whtsvr... th rslt's smhw dffclt t rd bt ftr sm tm y bcm ccstmd t ths wy f wrtng nd rdng wtht prblms.

10. scrimshaw

Vyřešil jsem tvůj kód bez samohlásky. :D
    Ale musel jsem na to za chvíli myslit.