Useful english words that are missing in the Czech language?

Discussion in 'General Language' started by ta, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

1 - or "skvělé kontroly/opravy"

2 - "někde" = "somewhere", if you wanted "on his own", then "každý musí snášet... sám/po svém"

3 - "kondice" in Czech means only "physical condition" and in the sense of stamina or endurance

4 - "podsvětí" is generally used as a reference to underworld in the mythological sense (the place where the dead dwell), not just a random place underground (this is "podzemí"). Another sense is "criminal underworld", of course.

5 - "pramen" = "stream" or "source" (of water), "studna" = "well" (if I am not mistaken, he pushed a skeleton into a well or something)

6 - figura etymologica (zvuk, ozvat se - the words have the same root) is not a favorit stylistic instrument in Czech... better "zvuk se rozezněl" or "rozlehl" (echoed)

7 - sounds funny :D you do not usually use formal politeness when dealing with infernal entities that would like to rape your soul with a fiery blade :D the best translation would be something like "dál neprojdeš", although it does not really have the punch the English original has, so it would be better to add some addressing "dál neprojdeš, démone" or something

8 - a good example of what I talked recently... the subject is expressed in the first clause in Czech, not in the principal clause
    "when he fell, the creature lashed with its whip..."
    x
    "když tvor padal, hodil švihl svým bičem..."
    Moreover, if you eft the sentence as it was, the subject of the clause "když padal" would still be "Gandalf", not "tvor" (who is mentioned in the following sentence)

9 - I would say "něco dodělat/dokončit" or "o něco se postarat", eventually "něco zařídit"

2. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

a good example of what I said recently
    or, of what I talked about(spoke about, wrote about) recently

Bílý čaroděj se zastavil na kamenném mostě a otočil se, aby čenil svýmu starýmu nepříteli. Zvedl klacek nad hlavu a řekl tvoru: 'Dál neprojedeš ty demone!!!' A ze svehé klacku zařilo jasné bílé světlo.
    Demón se na to jen smál a v jeho očích svítila červená oheň.
    Gandalf vykřikl: 'Na co čekáte, hlupaci, utekněte!!!.'
    Společenství nechtělo to udělat, ale vědělo, že poslání a zničení prstenu je to nejdůležitější.
    Dokažalo-li se dostat skrz horu, bylo by v bezpečí v země elfů.
    Spadli na travu na jasné slunci a všichni se cítili rozhodně špatně.
    Ztratili svoje vedouci a nejlepší přítel.
    Aragorn řekl: 'Nemůžeme tady zůstat. Mám pocit, že se na nás někdo dívá.'
    Pippin řekl: 'Jen kdybych nezrazil ty staré kosty do studny, ještě by byl na živu. Všechno je moje vina.'
    'Uklidni se Pippinu, nemáš pravdu. Gandalf udělal co musel udělat, stejně jako musíme udělat co máme udělat. Nikdo neřekl, že tohle bude snadné.'

'Tam a zase zpět'....napsaná Bilbo Pytlikem.
    Každá cesta začíná prvním krokem.

To neovládatilné kupující...Proč bych si koupil jen jednu, když bych si mohl koupit dva za dvakrát cenu?

Ronald Reagan řekl jednou: 'Nejblížší věc k navěčnímu životu je vládní prográm.'
    Jednou, že práse je u koryta, nechce se vydat svoje bezplatné jidlo.
    Vládní programy neumře nikdy.

3. Eleshar

1 - this one is priceless :D "klacek" is a piece of a brach, more like a club, bludgeon or something.... it is a thing that we throw and a dog fetches, not a dignified wizard's august staff :D of course, the staff could be called "klacek" but that would be rather derogatory and imply crudeness and lack of elegance... "staff" is "hůl"

2 - I think that the vocation with "ty" means that you do not really think the person is what you call it... it should be the same in English... you would tell a demon "you shall not pass, you demon", you would call a devilish human that way...

3 - that what we call in linguistics a "metathesis of vocalic quantity" :shock:

4 - it seems I forgot one meaning of "padnout" (besides "die" or "fall morally"), it can also mean just "fall" but it somehow implies intention when used with people (like "to hurl oneself")... and it can be also used in collocations with words "los" (lot) or "volba" (vote, choice) that "fall" on someone

5 - "vedoucí" is more like a "chief of department" or something, if you mean "guide", it is "průvodce", if you mean "leader", it is "vůdce"

6 - "shopping" is "nakupování", or something... there is a plethora of expressions for "go shopping" - jít na nákup, jít nakoupit, jít nakupovat, jít do města,...

7 - you word order would mean "RR said just once" (and not twice, thrice etc.), not "RR once said" (once = some time in the past)

8 - I did not know you use the same paralel with pigs and their feed-troughs when talking about politicians...

4. scrimshaw

:lol: Tamten mě rozesmal také. To nebyla představa, kterou jsem se snažil vytvořit. (tvor z hlubin honí kacky nerad.)

Z Gandalfovu hůlu žářil jasné bílé světlo, ale tvor ze zemského nitra se nebál. Byl tam tehdy hrozný boj mezi dobrem a zlem. Nikdo neviděl, co se stane, ale všichni věděli, že to byl důležitý boj.
    Gandalf byl silný čaroděje, ale tvor byl silný také.
    Spadli spolu do temnot a společenství se muselo domňivat, že to byl konec jeho vůdce a přítele.

Interesting about 2....Not sure what you mean..You will go no further, you demon..the way I meant it, it was strictly vocative
    maybe, does it sound like in a playful way?
    Don't do that, you rascal.???

Metathesis of vocalic quality...nemám žadnou mýšlenku, co to by mohl znamenat. :?

Prase u koryta........musí být mezinarodní představa. :D

5. Eleshar

I mean... if you add the word "you/ty", the vocative is normally valid, but it does mean something a little bit different.
    "Begone, devil!" - you are addressing an entity commonly referred to as "devil" by calling it by the word referring to its nature.
    "Begone, you devil" - you are addressing some other entity (for example an evil human) by attributing qualities of entity commonly referred to as "devil" (you do not mean the addressed person really is an infernal demon by its nature, you just call him names, implying that he shares some qualities with such a being). Or that is what I think, I am not sure whether there could be any difference between English and Czech. It is an interesting problem worthy of some linguistic research... it is a shame I am only student and I have no possibility of offering this topic to someone...

Just a fancy name for what you did... I could not resist mentioning it:)))

Indeed, and very clarifying... how do you say it in English exactly?

6. scrimshaw

Prase u koryta......pigs at the trough.....Žrají radi bezplatné jídlo.

Nepotřebné vládní utrápení je znamé v (americké) angličtině jako 'pork barrel spending'.....or just....'pork'

Každý politice se snaží získat 'pork' pro její oblast, ale potom si mají rád stěžovat na 'pork' ostatní.
    Je to součást politické hry.

Přinést domů slaninu.....To bring home the bacon....Earn and then bring home money.

V parku jsem hodil kacku tak daleko, jak dokázu a Azor ji sehnal a vrátil mi ji. Honí kacky radi. Je to jeho oblíbenou hru.

Je to v nejhlubší, nejtemnější zákoutí lidské mysli schopnost udělat velmi zlé věci.
    Většina ale ví rozdil mezi pravým a špatným, ale jsou někteří, kteří nenese svědomí. Nepoznají linie mezi těmi dvěma, anebo jej ví, ale ještě ochotně jej přejdou.
    Psychiatři nám řekli, že mají o kolečku víc, že asi jim chybí něco v mysli, že jsou nemocni. Ale to je prostý odpověd, příliš prostý.
    Lidé by chtěli mít všechné odpovědy, ale nějaké věci není schopna pochopit prostá lidská mysl.
    Zlo existuje? Nevím. Schopnost udělat zlé věci? Bezpochybu to existuje.
    Dokonce i starověci sámi sobě položili stejnou otázku.
    Snažili se tento fenóm vysvětlit v příběhu o Pandorině skříní.

Kdo ze skříně opustili démony?

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Scrimshaw, you have an extraordinary gift to make justice to the reality by confusing one single letter. You are right, we citizens are tortured to death by the government’s spending: :twisted:

utrácení = spending
      utrápení = torturing to death

On the other hand, the adjective “vládní” is not appropriate here. Czech “vláda” stays strictly for the executive and this is spending by the lawmakers, right?

The Czech terminology is “porcování medvěda” (= portioning of the bear) and “poslanecké pomníčky” (= deputies’ little memorials). :D

¹ pravý = real, pure, authentic, genuine / right (opposite to left)
    správný = right, correct, proper, due

What a self-criticism by the psychiatrist. :D
    (Omited subject refers to the last suiting word!)

8. scrimshaw

Díky Were...
    Příliš moc kongressové utrácení je jako mučení.
    Ale každý má svoje malý kousek koláču rád.
    Všechno bude v pořádku jen kdyby nám přinesl jeho poslanecké pomničky.
    To je hezká představa. Rád se chlubí pomničkymi.

Neovladnutilné konressové utrácení je známý jako ´Pork´. A politici mají svoje vepřové hodně rádi.
    Porcování medvěda, každý se těší na to, protože potom může říci: ´Podívejte se na to, co jsem vám přinesl. Teď vidíte jak jsem důležitý. Co byste udělal bez mě? Vidíte jak se o vám starám?

Tři přítelé si do prstů pichnuli nužem a stal se krevními bratry.

Třída anglické váleční loď....Dreadnought.....(tohle lod) se bojí nic .......použivané v první světové válce proti německé lodím v Severo moři.

Přišlo mi rovnocenný výraz v angličtině...má o kolečko víc.....má netěšnící šroubek....he has a screw loose

Psychiatři říkají, že ostatní mají o kolačko víc. Ale to je jen jejích mínění.
    Mám pocit, že někdo dovolil, aby líšci vyplíží do slepičarny.

Žiji na vypůjčený čas.

9. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Sorry if this came up before, but is there a word for punchline? As in, the last line of a joke or comedy sketch, the one that makes you laugh.

10. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

We call it "pointa", which obviously isn't a typical czech word :)

But it's the official czech expression for punchline.

11. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Great! Thanks! :)

So pronunciation... is it like.. poy-in-ta (oi dipthong) or poh-in-ta or does it have just two syllables because I think maybe it comes from something like "point"...?

12. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

It has 3 syllables, po-in-ta.
    I'd say it comes from point (probably from the Latin word because I guess point isn't an english word), but the czech word pointa has a slight accent on the -i- in the middle, so it's not pronounced like the english "point" with just -a at the end.

13. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Standard pronunciation is /poenta/. It comes from French “pointe” (= point, spike, punch line, witticism, mocking remark…). The origin is in Latin “pungere” (= to stab, to prick, to spike).

14. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

I completely forgot about this. Your right, but this word is already czechized so much that people usually pronounce it "as written".

15. 1500

1500 Active Member

If you are sick of being at home, you have "cabin fever" or you are "going stir crazy".

16. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Ponorková nemoc (submarine sickness)?

17. scrimshaw

This term 'cabin fever' is not really an illness.

It is an attitude developed from being stuck in a house/cabin too long.(ex.....during a very long cold winter)

The person is suffering from not being able to get out, smell the fresh air.

18. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

This term is used when you are too long with the same people, not too long on the same place (at home etc.), isn't it?

19. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hm... not much difference, when you are stuck in cabin with the same people, you have both Ponorková nemoc and Cabin fever :).

20. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

But you can also have ponorková nemoc when you're on a trip around the world with your two friends ;)