Pivo question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by DoDAH, Oct 2, 2009.

1. DoDAH

DoDAH Member

I'm going to be visiting Prague next week and would love to find some interesting places to take in the local ambiance (pubs) and am wondering, do pubs serve only one type of beer or are there typically different types?

Is the order simply "Pivo" and you get what they have or would I be wise to "pick" from a menu? I enjoy most beers and generally don't mind being suprised, but if there's something to know ahead of time...well, that's why I'm here. Thanks for the tips.

2. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

If you say "Pivo Prosím" they'll hand you something, it will be different in every bar I think, for me it's usually Starobrno or Gambrinus when I say that, but it's probably different in Prauge.
    I don't know how they choose when you just say Pivo, maybe there's a house beer.

Budvar/ the original Budweiser is bland and I'm not big into it, plus it gives you a headache the next day almost without fail.
    Plzen / Pilsner is more bitter, it's my favorite, and for me doesn't leave a hangover (other than the usually tummy ache resulting from my allergy/intolerance to yeast)

You can also order beer by the percentage.
    10% = desítku (deh seet koo)
    I forget how to say the other percents.

But I dunno, I'm sure the native Czechs will have more information.

3. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

Čtyři Koruny: its 10° not 10% ;-)

4. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Hee hee, thanks! You measure alcohol in degrees?

5. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I think in degrees we measure only pivo. The rest is in % of the alcohol volume.
    Btw: I still laugh too since here in US they measure some alcohol by "proof" ... e.g. the Old Grand Dad bourbon can be 100 proof ... and this is not alcohol % foru sure either ... ha ha ha

6. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Oh and as far as I remember, the "in-house" beer will be a choice of popular brands (they come in barrells). Mostly it is Pilsner, Kozel, Gambrinus etc. - some houses have more kinds. Plus they also carry beer in bottles.

Czech beer is one of the bests worldwide = so ENJOY !!! (I should say the best one :wink: )

When you say you enjoy most of beers be prepared for a BIG change. US beer to me does not taste like beer at all; it has that smell of hops in it (and malt, barley and who knows what else) and I cannot drink it (and even when I got plastered one time I could not drink it :roll: ). My son brought back some cans of Gambrinus from his overseas trip (this summer) and I offered them to some of my friends. And even friends, who do not drink beer, they enjoyed it a lot.

Pls note: traditional Czech pub is far different from US bar. It is not a meat grinder ... so no worries. In fact, I miss something like this over here :cry:.

7. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know. It's just as strange as "degrees" as a word for measuring alcohol by volume. 100 proof is 50% alcohol in the US by the way, and somewhat more in the UK. I don't know about the rest of Europe; if beer is 10 "degrees" how much alcohol is in it? In the US it would be 5%, in the UK, 5.7%.

8. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

Well, the 10°, 12° or even 33° doesnt measure alcohol but percentage of some active(not sure even in czech) substances during production. Therefore if you pour shot of vodka to your 10° it won't make it 12°;-)

9. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

The degrees were abandoned some years ago (in order to conform to the EU regulations, probably). Now beer must be mandatorily labelled with percentage of alcohol by volume and optionally with percentage of the extract of original (hopped) wort (= extrakt původní mladiny, EPM in Czech).

For example:

Pivo světlé výčepní 10% -- Obsah alkoholu: 3,8% obj.
    Světlý ležák 12% -- Obsah alkoholu: 4,9% obj.
    Tmavý speciál 14% -- Obsah alkoholu: 6,0% obj.
    Polotmavý speciál 16% -- Obsah alkoholu: 7,5 % obj.
    etc.

The percentage of alcohol by volume is mandatory. The percentage of EPM can be omitted.

obj. means by volume.

10. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Bibax and Kibicz, thank you! I was not sure what the degrees meant. I knew it represented something else than alcohol but ... my memory is fading :cry:.

At least EPM makes more sence than US/UK "proof" ... their units of measurement make to sence anyways at all :twisted: (all of them).

11. DoDAH

DoDAH Member

Excellent insight! I was concerned that at 10%+ I'd be in over my head quite quickly...to read the % to degree translation is informative! Thanx.

And I'm also happy to read that the pubs aren't "meat grinders"! :eek: I was hoping for an opportunity simply to test the local brews and perhaps enjoy some local company for a break from touring!

A final question before packing my bags...do most of the pubs have music? Live or recorded? And what do they play in general...again, I most enjoy local establishments, not tourist traps.

You're all great...thanks for the insight and I'll post again upon my return!

12. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

About that 'proof' you referred to a couple posts back.
    Not sure, but I think that is something that only refers to liquor, a distilled alcohol, not beer, a fermented alcohol.

No such thing as a 100 proof beer, or even 50 proof.
    I think the strongest beers can only be 15% alchohol, or something like that.
    But rum I think can get up to like 180 proof. Liver killer.

13. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

You can pretty much find whatever you are looking for but, most places I've been have recorded music. You might want to avoid the herna bars - small gambling bars that are usually open 24/7 - generally not a very good atmosphere. I've been in a few of them but then, I'm open to just about anything...

14. DoDAH

DoDAH Member

:D Just got back home (Ohio) yesterday. The trip to Prague (and a few other stops) was amazing. As for the beer...wow; my last trip to Europe was to Germany a number of years ago and my recollection was that the beer was great....it remains so today with the Czech Beer! Bottom line in my opinion is that you can't go wrong! Pilsner, Dark, whatever; it's all fantastic... Even my wife who typically doesn't enjoy beer with flavor, actually enjoyed the Czeck beers.

15. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

My husband is not a beer drinker but absolutely loves Czech beer. He sais it doesn’t have the “aftertaste” American beers do.
    I’ve noticed that people usually claim German beer is the best only until they taste Czech beer, then they always change their tune. No disrespect to German beer, it is an ok substitute in times Czech beer is not available :p :wink:

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
    Btw the Czech beers available in many of U.S. grocery stores are unfortunately pitiful variation of the “real” thing. You can blade combination of FDA and alcohol content rules and the distance it travels. Not sure of the exact science but something about the longer the trip the beer has to make the more it gets “shaken” the worst it will taste…. Don’t know … old-wives tales or is it really true?

16. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

In czech we call it "ocas" (= tail)

Agree, it is what most czechs drink when czech beer is not available :)

17. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member