Touring Czech Republic with rental car

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by rockyptjoe, Nov 18, 2009.

1. rockyptjoe

rockyptjoe New Member

I'm planning on visiting next summer with my daughter for about 2 weeks....have relatives in both Dolni Nemci (Morava) and Ostrava. Would like to hear opinions on touring the country with a rental car....pros and cons. Is it very expensive to rent? How are gas prices? I realize they are more expensive then in the US.

Thanks!

2. Lloyd

Lloyd New Member

Hi there!

From my experience I can say it's a good idea, mainly because public transportation in Czech Republic is quite poor so it is the best way to travel around. Prices are not so high as in Western Europe as well and if you book in advance you can get a good bargain. I don't know if they are in your montioned locations but I suggest you to check Decode http://www.decodecarhire.co.uk/car-hire/czech-republic/prague.html, I rented with them and stayed satisfied, mainly because of the price I got.

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

?

Maybe it is just a matter of perspective - compared to here in my part of the US, public transportation is great in the Czech Republic.

4. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on your driving style. I hate driving in Czech rep. because overall streets are more narrow, cars are usually manual transmission (you can rent an automatic but they are not as widely available), parking is a pita, traffic jams more common (then what I’m used to).
    I also have to totally disagree with the Lloyd about Czech public transportation. I find it convenient, fast, efficient. Now I’ve never been to UK so can’t compare. My experience is mainly with public transportation in central and south Europe and in that category Czech system is one of the best.
    Anyways, to the original question…. It really does depend on your driving :)

5. Personally I think driving around the Czech Republic is a good idea because you are then not restricted to timetables and you will see more of the country. Yes generally roads are narrower, road signing can be can be a challenge but a good map or satnav will help, cars are smaller&have manual transmission and in the Cities you may find congestion but once you are out of the cities traffic is fairly light.
    There is a lot to see and do in the Czech Republic and (as far as I'm concerned) a car is the most convenient way to see a lot in a short period of time.

6. petri

petri Well-Known Member

And what´s most important from my point of view, the public transportation is cheap in CR! Especially compared to home country (Finland)...
    I´ve many times considered rental car on my trips in Czech Rep. but ended up to public transportation because of the bargain prices (and you can have a pint or a glass of Fernet at the train´s dining car on a good day). 8)