Looking for Struhadlo, CZ

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by rneydl, Mar 30, 2007.

1. rneydl

rneydl New Member

I have a handwritten note that says my great-grandfather (Jacob Neydl) was born in "Struhadle, Bohemia" which I believe to be Struhadlo, Plzensky, Czech Republic. I'm having a hard time determining if this village still exists because it appears on some maps but not others. Can anyone confirm if this is a village today and if so, how I can locate municipal or church contacts? Any info on the "Neydl" surname would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It could be this Struhadlo: map

Now it's administratively part of Bezdekov village.

BTW - Struhadlo means grater in Czech :)

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Probably you should look for the surname spelled Nejdl (the Czech "j" is pronounced as a "y" in English). The Czech Ministry of Statistics says there are 178 Nejdl's and 161 Nejdlová's in the Czech Republic).

Anyway, I'd say that eso found the place. I looked in the Czech online phone book, and of the 42 Nejdl's listed there, 15 were within 20 to 30 km of the place. Just to get you started on the list there, the following places were close to Struhadlo: Loučim, Kdyně, Klatovy, Přeštice, Mrakov, Strakonice, Nýrsko, Bor, Kout na Šumavě, and Plánice.

4. rneydl

rneydl New Member

I cannot thank you both enough! I will research the phone listings and localities identified. If anyone reading this is (or knows of) a genealogy researcher located in the area of Bezdekov I would be interested in making contact. Thank you again!!!

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

No problem. It's nice for a change to get a genealogy question that has such a clear answer (or at least seems to). Good luck!

6. Dennis L Povondra

Dennis L Povondra New Member

My grandfather was born in Struhadlo or came from Struhadlo and I am looking for an address of someone to contact if there are any people left in the village with that name.

7. rneydl

rneydl New Member

Hi Dennis,

I don't have any contacts in Struhadlo, but a Czech researcher contacted the town office for me a few years ago and he may have contact info in his records. His name is Msg. Jan Dus, and his email address is "rev.jan.services@gmail.com. He has been a great help to me and I hope he can help you.

Are you researching the name "Povondra" or a different surname? My surname was spelled "Nejdl" and Msg. Dus found a number of marriage records for my Struhadlo ancesters, so if you would like to send me the name you are researching I can see if any of my ancestors married yours. I do know that there were no marriages to a Povandra, though. I can be reached at "rneydl@gmail.com". Regards,

Russ