My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

The Czech McDonalds?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
staropramen

PostPosted: 24-Feb-10 23:36  Reply with quote

When I was on holiday in Prague last summer I stumbled upon a nice restaurant to eat near the old town square where there was an open air market.
You picked up a tray and there were a series of small booths in the restaurant where you chose something and the lady there wrote down your price on a tab. Then you just sat down anywhere and when you finished your meal, you presented your bill on the way out and paid.
Am I making sense?
It was really nice, although - very few tourists and a lot of hand signals from me to negotiate my meal. Does anyone know this place and are there more like it scattered around Prague or further afield?
Alexx

PostPosted: 25-Feb-10 10:03  Reply with quote

Hm, hard to tell, I do not go to Old Town for meal often, as most places there are overpriced. However I am sure one can find places like this, self-service, we usually call such places "Jídelna".

Maybe it will help if you try to locate this place on map (google maps, mapy.cz...)
Karel_lerak

PostPosted: 26-Feb-10 21:43  Reply with quote

Alexx wrote:
Hm, hard to tell, I do not go to Old Town for meal often, as most places there are overpriced. However I am sure one can find places like this, self-service, we usually call such places "Jídelna".

Maybe it will help if you try to locate this place on map (google maps, mapy.cz...)

It's "Havelská koruna", we are going there ocassionally. They have typical Czech cuisine. Coordinates: N 50°5'7.964" E 14°25'18.138"
bibax

PostPosted: 26-Feb-10 22:00  Reply with quote

Similar type of restaurant (with various booths) is "Jarmark" (the name is from German: Jahrmarkt - year market). There are several Jarmarks in Prague. I know Jarmark in Vodičkova street hard to Wenceslas square.
staropramen

PostPosted: 26-Feb-10 23:14  Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I will try and find this place again. It was wonderful for a quick lunch, the food was good and not expensive.
For dinner I have my own favourite cafe/restaurant just over the river in Mala Strana - Olympia on Vitezna - but don't all go there, I like it because it's quiet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Food & Drink All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: