Random question #8230

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Petronela, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

The board seems to be little slow this week (unless all of you are hiding in a some super-duper-secret corner of the forum) so I figured ya’ll wont mind a blonde question (and yes I am a blonde so I can say it :p )
    Is MDŽ still celebrated? And while we at it, how about MDD (always found that one lame but MDŽ used to be a blast).

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hm, depends. Whoever is trying to sell flowers or other gifts, claims it should be celebrated, and try to attract people (men) to their shops. But certainly it is not mass thing as it used to be.

MDD (probably Mezinárodní den otců - International Father's day) is celebrated in similar way as International day of kebab or international day of puzzle.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I guess that MDD stands for Mezinárodní den dětí (used to be celebrated on June 1st). As far as I know, schools and kindergartens throw some outdoor activities for kids - games and competitions or trips to a zoo, a castle, a picnic etc.

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Sure, Jana is right, what was I thinking ... I just assumed the oposite of MDŽ

5. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Thank you guys. :D

A yeah I know what you talking about Alexx about retail companies pushing some holidays, here it's to the point it'sactually becoming a turn-off.

I know there’s Mother’s day, but that’s a “tame” holiday, MDZ used to be a wild one :twisted:
    I guess I am showing my age lol

6. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

At the end of May (usually on weekend just before 1st June) there is also a nation-wide festival called Bambiriáda which is a large presentation of children and youth’s activities.