Canadian Visas for Czech citizens reimposed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by AxeZ, Mar 30, 2010.

1. AxeZ

AxeZ Active Member

Hello,
    I was recently looking for something on the internet and stumbled upon information regarding Canada reimposing visa requirements for the citizens of Czech Republic.
    Visas were abolished few years ago and now Canada have put them back as a requirement for traveling for Czech citizens due to the high number of asilum seekers from CZ or something like that.
    Does anyone have any additional informations or can confirm this?
    This is really sad if the case.

2. jpkrohling

jpkrohling Member

That's true. It caused a lot of noise here at that time, with the Czech Republic threatening to bring this issue to the EU, to impose visa to Canadians in the whole EU. But it seems that EU forgot about the Czech demands. So, Canadians can freely travel to EU, including Czech Republic, but Czechs can't go to Canada without a visa:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/cz ... x?lang=eng

3. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

It seems that the Schengen agreement is a very elastic document.

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

For a few months even Czech applicants had to go to Vienna for visa!

Canada is not part of Schengen, so it doesn't apply here.

5. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

I meant that the Czech Republic alone (as a part of Schengen area) cannot reciprocally impose visa to Canadiens, only the EU can do it. And Franco-Germany will never solve such niggling problem like the visa requirement for Czech citizens.

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Actually, we can, but it is useless without cooperation by the other Schengen members.

That’s because Canada became favourite destination of Czech Gypsies. In Canada there is overgenerous welfare system they can milk easily, very long asylum procedure and Canada, unlike the states in Europe, protects the Gypsies from the creditors in the Czech Republic.

7. AxeZ

AxeZ Active Member

So, few hundred individuals have ruined it for the rest of us.
    Would CZ impose visas for Canadian citizens?

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No, why?

Czech Republic responded only by the imposition of visas for the officials of Canada.

9. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Sorry to say it, but it would never happened. All it is is just typical posturing of politicians. In the end it all boils down to money, and truth is Czech need Canadians tourist lot more then Canadians need Czech tourists.

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Petronela: I do not think so. Canada makes just some very small percent of tourists, the same way CZ makes small percent of tourists in Canada. I do not remember seeing maple leaf in Prague for long time - and have seen Canadians with flags on their backpacks often around Europe before.

It is about problems it causes for majority of people - for example Air Canada is one of cheapest way of getting to west coast USA. A lot of people will now rather choose other carrier then AC, just because they do not like the paperwork with Canadian visa (or any visa for that matter). As USA is now much more open to czechs, a lot would yous AC, and will not. I am the case who chose AC anyway, however I am not very happy about it.

Another example, I know group of teenagers on their trip to some tournament in Toronto. All this visa bureaucracy is making them consider to go or not to go.

11. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

I understand what you’re saying and I sympathize, however I still don’t see it coming to enforcing visa’s on Canadian tourist. It just doesn’t seem to make any political or business sense.

12. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Sure. I am not a fan of "a tooth for a tooth" strategy.

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I have to kind of disagree with you Alexx :)

I am angry! Very angry! Five months ago, when I booked tickets from London to LA via Toronto, nice voice from canadian embassy assured me, that transit visa is valid for 48 hours, and I can freely leave the airport for the city. So fine, I booked my ticket so I have plenty of time to visit Toronto, or rent a car and visit Niagara Falls.

Now, when I start to apply for tranzit visa, they gave me information I cannot leave the airport with transit visa. What am I gonna do 9 hours in the great and marvelous Lester B Pearson International Airport??? Tourist visa for one entry is 55€, which I am not gonna pay for 6 hours! Never! Ever!

Go * yourself Canada!

Should I download Terminal movie somewhere and watch it on my laptop again and again during my stay there? $%&#@!

_________
    *) think of

14. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well, I feel I should add some information about progres in my case. Now my time in Toronto changed to 15 hours due to Air Canada schedule rearrangement.

However, I have information from embassy in Vienna, that I can leave the airport for downtown, I just need to present my onward ticket for USA with my passport and valid visa. Why is the information from Prague embassy on contrary?

I asked at http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca, so wonder what they will say. I guess they are above all the embassies.

I need to know if I should book a hotel in downtown Toronto, or rather put my sleeping bag to my hand luggage and find some comfy warm bench in the terminal.