trying to find a job in the czech replublic

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by bartonski, Aug 9, 2009.

1. bartonski

bartonski New Member

Hi, i would like to move to the Czech republic but due to my profession i think i might have some trouble in finding a job. I am a qualified chef with over 12 years experience but at the moment i cannot speak czech which i guess is a big disadvantage. Has anyone else been in this situation? Does anyone know of any good employment websites or infact ccmapnies that will take an English man on. I am willing to change my career but dont have much experience in doing anything esle apartfrom working in the catering industry.

thanks

Rob

2. szkott

szkott Member

I have a similar problem. I'd like to find a job in the Czech as well. I also have experience cooking, but I don't think there's much of an opportunity there, unless you start your own business - perhaps in catering if you have the contacts.

I've been looking on monster.cz and it seems the only choices for expats with no experience/no czech would be to work as a customer service representative. But I think the pay is probably lousy (around 25,000 kc?).

I've also been considering opening a pizza/kebab stand just like the foreigners have here - they seem to do OK. It would mean saving the money for the first year's rent, most likely, but once you're established, you should make a profit. Eventually, if all goes well you could expand and hire people who can speak English to make things easier on yourself.

3. bartonski

bartonski New Member

hi,
    yeah i almost took a job for 23000czk which is around 700 pound a month. its ok but im a chef so i wouldnt want to go into customer service. ive seen a few ads on expats.cz but nothing good.

4. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

You know, depending on where you live in Czech, 25,000 a month isn't bad money. It's all relative.

5. Rommie

Rommie Well-Known Member

University graduates often get hardly more than 10 000,- Kc so I would call 25 000,- "bad money"...

6. hoppo29

hoppo29 Member

Hi,

If your Moravian-Silesian side then 25,000 Kc is ok, plenty!! Cost of living is different here. PLus pivo is cheap!!

Mark

7. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

I recently heard from my father-in-law that he's now paying 20 CK for a mali pivo...that's a more than 50% increase over the 12 CK I paid back last august. Sheesh.

But yes, cost of living is cheaper, I think i've found a four room flat for 10,000 a month...in Ostrava Poruba.

8. hoppo29

hoppo29 Member

ahoj,

My wife and I brought at 1200m2 plot of land in her local village for about £13,000 about 4 years ago now, and now it is worth £43 - £44,000. Shows how much this are on the up!!

Jdes na pivo!!

9. rob100

rob100 Member

Hi guys, I live near Havirov; which is approx 12 km from Ostrava, and we pay around 20kc to 25kc a beer, but I know Ostrava is a little more expensive, especially in Stodolni street.

I bought my house 9 years ago for approx £26,000 and now selling for approx £137,000. But I did do a lot of work on it though.

Shame none of you guys are handymen / builders, as I could have offered all of you work!

Good luck with the job hunt guys!!

10. rob100

rob100 Member

Hi! To the guys that have sent me a message....could you let me know if you got anything back?
    You'll know who you are....
    Thanks!!
    It's OK, it works!!