Pregnancy in the Czech Rep

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by BMoody, Apr 19, 2010.

1. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

My Czech wife and I are thinking about having kids in the Czech Rep now. I've heard that my wife will get paid by the government a percentage of her current salary while pregnant and after birth for 3 years.

What is that percentage? How long has she had to work at that job? How long will she receive it?

Thanks everyone!
    -Bryan

2. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the percentage is. My wife is a Czech national. We're planning on moving back to Czech and she says she'll get 7000cK a month for our baby. Let us know what you find out for sure.

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Actually, it is based on her health insurance (so even fresh graduates have a chance…).

This is very popular subject of political manipulation. So the effect of the election could be huge. Given the promises of some parties there could big increase, but taking the economical reality of the country in account you can be pretty sure of its revocation later on.

Right now, minimal payment (for month, resp 30 days) is 7 600 Kč, maximal payment 23 490 Kč.

You can use this calculator to find the actual payment, but it is a little more difficult because first you need a base for it which is based on former health insurence payments and differs for employers, self-employed persons, students etc. And it is in Czech, naturally. More info in Czech.

Once again, it differs for employers, self-employed persons, students etc.

For employers — she has to pay the health insurence (in CR or another EU country) for 270 days in two previous years.
    For self-employed — the same + 180 days in one previous year.

This all applies for the payments on maternity leave, that is for 28 weeks. After this, a parental leave (of one of the parents) follows. You can choose different kinds of parental leave, standard is 7 600 Kč monthly for 3 years.