What does this diminutive mean?

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Adgie, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Adgie

Adgie Member

Whilst I inderstand the principle of diminutives for Czech forenames, I am still unsure when it is appropriate to use certain diminutives and what that would convey to the individual.

However, the query that I have relates to the use of diminutives by a Czech girl when writing to me. Frequently, over the past months she has signed letters/sms with Hanička. After spending a week with her recently, she sent a SMS signed "Your Haninka".

Could someone please enlighten me as to what this usage might indicate.

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No difference in meaning or tone. Only two different diminutives (family forms) of name "Hana". "Hanička" is more usual (regular), "Haninka" is a little more vernacular.

3. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

I, for one, would find it incredibly strange to sign letters to someone "Hanicka" or "Haninka". Hana is my name, and my parents or extended relatives used diminutives to addressing me, but when I introduce myself, or sign my name, it remains "Hana"

I wonder how many people on here sign themselves with a diminutive when writing to someone

4. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

I agree, signing as Hanicka or Haninka is syrupy sweet. A six year old can get away with it.

5. Adgie

Adgie Member

Many thanks for the welcome comments. I must admit that, as a non-Czech, I find this subject somewhat complex.

Perhaps I should have pointed out that the letters/SMS were in the form of "milostné dopisy". Does this make a difference to the use of the diminutives?

6. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

even in love letters I'd avoid signing my name that way. And if someone wrote to me and signed their name that way, I'd find it embarrasing for them, and uncomfortable. And it would be the same for all my friends and relatives. It's just odd...

7. kotja

kotja Member

It is bad, that Hana don't have masculine form (Dana -> Dan), because it would be Han (Han Solo)

8. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I don't know why it would be inappropriate to sign off on a love letter or text in the chosen pet name between lovers.
    It would seem endearing to me.

9. JPS

JPS Member

Indeed, my Czech partner does it.