My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Pivo question
Go to page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoDAH

PostPosted: 05-Oct-09 11:17  Reply with quote

Excellent insight! I was concerned that at 10%+ I'd be in over my head quite quickly...to read the % to degree translation is informative! Thanx.

And I'm also happy to read that the pubs aren't "meat grinders"! Surprised I was hoping for an opportunity simply to test the local brews and perhaps enjoy some local company for a break from touring!

A final question before packing my bags...do most of the pubs have music? Live or recorded? And what do they play in general...again, I most enjoy local establishments, not tourist traps.

You're all great...thanks for the insight and I'll post again upon my return!
scrimshaw

PostPosted: 05-Oct-09 15:25  Reply with quote

About that 'proof' you referred to a couple posts back.
Not sure, but I think that is something that only refers to liquor, a distilled alcohol, not beer, a fermented alcohol.

No such thing as a 100 proof beer, or even 50 proof.
I think the strongest beers can only be 15% alchohol, or something like that.
But rum I think can get up to like 180 proof. Liver killer.
GlennInFlorida

PostPosted: 05-Oct-09 16:50  Reply with quote

DoDAH wrote:

A final question before packing my bags...do most of the pubs have music? Live or recorded? And what do they play in general...again, I most enjoy local establishments, not tourist traps.

You can pretty much find whatever you are looking for but, most places I've been have recorded music. You might want to avoid the herna bars - small gambling bars that are usually open 24/7 - generally not a very good atmosphere. I've been in a few of them but then, I'm open to just about anything...
DoDAH

PostPosted: 17-Oct-09 12:55  Reply with quote

Very Happy Just got back home (Ohio) yesterday. The trip to Prague (and a few other stops) was amazing. As for the beer...wow; my last trip to Europe was to Germany a number of years ago and my recollection was that the beer was great....it remains so today with the Czech Beer! Bottom line in my opinion is that you can't go wrong! Pilsner, Dark, whatever; it's all fantastic... Even my wife who typically doesn't enjoy beer with flavor, actually enjoyed the Czeck beers.
Petronela

PostPosted: 17-Oct-09 13:18  Reply with quote

My husband is not a beer drinker but absolutely loves Czech beer. He sais it doesn’t have the “aftertaste” American beers do.
I’ve noticed that people usually claim German beer is the best only until they taste Czech beer, then they always change their tune. No disrespect to German beer, it is an ok substitute in times Czech beer is not available :-p Wink

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Btw the Czech beers available in many of U.S. grocery stores are unfortunately pitiful variation of the “real” thing. You can blade combination of FDA and alcohol content rules and the distance it travels. Not sure of the exact science but something about the longer the trip the beer has to make the more it gets “shaken” the worst it will taste…. Don’t know … old-wives tales or is it really true?
Alexx

PostPosted: 18-Oct-09 11:52  Reply with quote

Petronela wrote:
My husband is not a beer drinker but absolutely loves Czech beer. He sais it doesn’t have the “aftertaste” American beers do.

In czech we call it "ocas" (= tail)

Petronela wrote:
No disrespect to German beer, it is an ok substitute in times Czech beer is not available :-p Wink

Agree, it is what most czechs drink when czech beer is not available Smile
Yvan

PostPosted: 27-May-10 17:06  Reply with quote

Very good beer web :
http://www.praguebeergarden.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Miscellaneous (Czech-Related) All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: