What a BIG MESS in the Gulf of Mexico 5-23-10

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Animal, May 24, 2010.

1. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

What a mess, everyone pointing the finger at each other. Fix the leak and get to cleaning up the mess. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pBcf0o ... re=related

Hey Glenn according to this vid it is headed your way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FHjoS9V ... re=related

Sorry Glenn this one is it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4edvEqKh ... re=related

this one shows oil and gas coming out of the BP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMajtDTyTnE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERlk3WV5 ... re=related

This oil well is 5000 feet below the surface, It will never make a full recovery. Look at the Valdies oil spill 20 years later it is still a mess.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbjC9SMK ... re=related

I do susport oil drilling BUT SAFTY has got to be NUMBER ONE!!!!!!!!

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

With any luck, the spill won't hit the coast near my home - the current appears to be moving it away and further south, unfortunately towards the Keys. There were so many errors and oversights in this whole mess that no one can completely be held responsible although I believe BP holds the lions share. I hope there is a solution soon, it has already been too long and no telling what the full environmental impact will be.

3. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

4. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

5. The Animal

One of the companies out here did have a big all electric drilling rig for sale to BP for $5 million. I do not think they need it now. :shock: :roll:

6. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I feel bad for all the fishermen and tour/boat operators that make a living on the water. With hurricane season starting Tuesday, it could get much worse. The Valdez spill was a drop in the bucket compared to this disaster.

BP knew there were serious safety problems with this rig long before the accident happened. They basically lied to Congress and the government is complicit, because the inspectors looked the other way.

7. The Animal

Já také Irena. They tried the TOP KILL today or maybe it was yesterday with no luck. Oil is still gushing out of the blowout preventer.
    I heard that Obama ordered all rigs to be shut down for investagations, to look for problems. There is one rig out in the gulf that I have heard about, if something happens to it, it will make this one look like a drop in a bucket. :roll: :roll:

8. Irena M

9. The Animal

It goes back to a famous saying that I used to say all the time at S & S.

(The blind leading the blind and chaos in controll) :lol: :wink: :roll:

As far as the argument goes the guys who knew what to do, where overriden by someone with out experience. He caused this major mess.

10. Irena M

So now BP says that there will not be any control til at least August. Meanwhile thousands of gallons are still spilling into the water.
    I've done some reading on this subject and apparently the original valves for this rig were nixed by the company due to cost. So less expensive, thinner valves were produced & installed.

They were aware that the blow out valve (critical piece of safety equipment on any offshore oil rig) was not working and made the choice of not replacing or repairing it since the decision had been made to plug the well prior to the explosion.

This is the result of corporate greed and lack of ethics. Their CEO's are still living in multi-million dollar homes, eating imported caviar and drinking vintage champagne. For them, nothing changes.

11. GlennInFlorida

From what I have read, the safety measures installed by law on all rigs off the coast of Europe were given a pass over here by the last administration. If they had been required, as they are in Europe, none of this would have happened but it would have reduced BP's multi-billion dollar profits by a few million. Of course, this is now going to cost BP (and eventually all of us here) much more.

The latest attempt to slow the flow (it will not stop it - only relief wells might stop it in August) is very dangerous in my opinion. They are attempting to cut off the existing mechanism at the top and place a cap over it. Despite their innocuous little animations that show a little gray colored burst of oil, this thing will be a virtual underwater geyser spewing much more oil than the four little breaks the have now. If they don't get the cap on, this will be an absolute horror (not that it is not now).

As a Gulf Coast resident, I can't begin to tell you how sick all of this makes me. Keep your fingers crossed.

12. Irena M

The oil field is sandstone and capping it will likely cause cracks to form in the surrounding sandstone. That could generate more leaks. This area has one of the largest deposits in the world. So due to the geology of the area, it might take a looooooooong time to get this under control.

13. The Animal

I agree with ty on that one Irena.
    Já had to go work on a drilling rig today. I spoke to the driller of the rig, I asked him about his opion about the oil leak. How should they stop it? He replied ( they need to get another platform start running casing down to the well then start cementing it.) If you thick about it, it does make sense to run the pipe down inside on top of the blow out preventer. But then again, you have all the oil coming up under pressure so, why not just start collecting the oil and send it to the refinery after all it is dirty crude unlike some sweet crude that we have. :roll: (Blind leading the blind chaos in control)

Uh, em uh ya let's try this, if this fails uh em let's try this. Man stop being a parts changer and repair it. :roll:

14. The Animal

Glenn, you mention August? Holy cow by that time the whole Gulf could be dead especialy with hurricane season just around the corner.

There are also reports of people getting sick because of the depersent obviously it is TOXIC. Well guess what BP you are killing our Gulf, our water. You have also ruined many lives who depend on the Gulf to make a HONEST LIVING..................... :evil: It will affect all of us one way or another. :roll:

15. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

Zatímco my tu řešíme biopaliva, Američané už jezdí na vodu.. ze zálivu.. :)

16. GlennInFlorida

I wish we could run on water :wink:

17. Irena M

Mnoho Američanů, které závisí na tuto vodu, aby se jejich bydlení, bude ve výsledku mnoho chudší. Velmi smutné.

18. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

We are told that this BP well leak will ultimately be relieved by a relief well which will not be ready for a number of months.

Am i being naive, but should it not be a requirement that secondary relief wells be drilled on all new deep sea wells at the outset and then capped until needed?

19. The Animal

Alittle update, I was one a drilling rig approx. I don't remember excactly 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, the crew was from Louisiana working here in West Texas. I spoke to them about the big spill. According to them the media blew the whole story way, way out of proportation, it was no where as bad as the MEDIA made it out to be.

Remember, I have been away for along time. Trying to get back to the message boards again. I miss everyone !!

The MEDIA imagine that !! :roll: :roll: I would believe the drilling crew first instead of the media.