Hostels in Prague and other cities

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Tagarela, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Tagarela

Tagarela Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm going to visit Czech Republic in August.
    I'd like some advices about good hostels in Prague. My intention is to stay in single rooms and I don't want to spend more than 50 euros/day paying the hostel.

I visited some websites as www.hostelworld.com but it still difficult to decide where to stay. I'd like something near the main touristic places or at least close to underground stations and so on.
    I'll spend 4-5 days in Prague, but at least one of them I'll be actually out of the city visiting surrounding towns.

If anyone have advices for Vienna and Krakow I'd appreciate them as well.

Thank you very much!

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Click on the light blue "Hostels" button above - it is a good start...

3. petri

petri Well-Known Member

Hello,

http://travellers.cz/en/dlouha-pension- ... prague.php
    A big hostel.
    Excellent location, 400 meters from the Old town square! Quite OK breaksfast included.

http://applehostel.cz/

From this one I don´t have personal experience but it´s close to main attractions and public transport (Namesti republiky) as well.

Both hostels offer single rooms just in your budget with shared facilities.

Try also www.travelnow.com hotel search, sometimes they offer cheaper hotel rooms than the actual hostels!

4. Tagarela

Hello,

Thank you for the advices.
    Petri, have you already stayed in Dlouhá hostel? If yes, what your personal impression about the cleaness and the staff? In Hostelworld there are some negative comments on that.

*I'm always thinking about Atlas Hostel. I read the reviews in Hostelworld and most of them are postive, unless one person that stated that there are some strip clubs on the strip that ask the person to enter all the time. Not sure if it is really true.

Good bye.:

5. petri

petri Well-Known Member

Hi,

yes I´ve stayed in a Dlouha hostel´s apartment.
    The common facilities weren´t the cleanest in the world but not the worst either in my opinion. The reception staff were quite "serious" but not rude really. The bartenders were very friendly!
    What ever accommodation you´ll choose, Prague will enchant you anyway, have a nice trip! =)

6. bushpilot

bushpilot Member

7. Tagarela

Hello,

Thank you again!

Petri, althougth serious, at least Dlouhá staff answer emails quickly. I'm waiting a response by Atlas Hostel, but they don't answer me and I need to do a decision soon...if they don't answer me, I'll take Dlouhá.

This Etap Hotel seems nice too, but I guess that I won't need an accomodation in Vienna anymore ,I shall stay in Bratislava and do a day-trip to Vienna. =)

I'm also deciding where to stay in České Budějovice, but it is almost certain that it will be in Ubytovna U Nádraží hostel. Otherwise, in Cuba-bar hostel.

Now I know why many people prefer to use travel agencies... you cannot visit exactly what you want to, but you have the tenth of the work preparating your trip. =P

Good bye.:

8. petri

petri Well-Known Member

U Nadrazi is a good choice! I stayed there a few years ago and it was definately worth the money. The cleanliness and overall level of the room was merely like a three star hotel!

9. Tagarela

Hi,

I am back =)
    Hum, as for hostel, Ubytovna U nádraží in České Budějovice was nice. It is really close to train and bus (mainly) stations, also nearby a small shopping mall where you can buy things for breakfast and have access to internet, in case you don't carry your own lap top.

I didn't like Atlas hostel...the room was great, but nothing more than that. The reception only works from 8 to 20h, so you should carry your keys. There's no real service there...and the street for me was horrible, I guess that being around Wencelaus Square is not good, there are too many cabarets, too many people that chasing tourists to invite them to clubs or whatever. Ah, besides that I told that I'd arrive around 11:00 but my room was only ready at 14:00! And still there was some spider web in the wall of my room. Than I spent only one night in Atlas and then moved to Dlouhá Travellers Hostel, it is near Old Town Square. I was in a single room, actually, it was a 3-bed room but I took it only for me...there wasn't much besides the beds - they were simple but possible to sleep in them - and some places to keep your clothes. The bathroom in the corridor was in a good state of cleanliness most of times. The breakfast is good. The staff is serious, they could smile more, but are helpful...there's a laundry service by 150 crowns per load (they wash and dry) it is good. I really suggest it.

But for some reasons I didn't like Prague very much...the small towns either in Morava and Bohemian were better to me.

Thank you a lot for all suggestions of you!

=)