Alexx goes to the US

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Alexx, Aug 25, 2010.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Ty fotky jsou krásné. To byla vynikající cesta a jsem tak rád, že jsi je tady poslal. Nikdy jsem neviděl západní země Spojených Států.
    Hele! Ten Přemysl v opuštěném městě, co tam dělá?
    Zničí budovy všude, kam dojde? On je skutečným psancem.
    Navštěvili jste tak mnoho zajímavých míst.
    Rušný China town v San Francisco, Golden Gate most, a dokonce i znamé mroži v tom přistavu.
    That was a fantastic picture of that long arrow straight road that goes from the foreground to the horizon.
    The water in Crater lake is so blue.
    Congratulations for undertaking such an adventurous trip. Like one of your friends posted. Byla to cesta celé života.
    Kdo by si myslil, že se chipmunkům líbili popcorn?
    Great job, Alexxi

2. scrimshaw

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yep, I have seen it yesterday in local TV. Anyway, good for anyone going that way, cause traffic on those switchbacks is enormous, and this bridge and finished highway may shorten travel time from Kingman, AZ, to Las Vegas, about 30 minutes.

This way only people like me, who will prefer to go via Hoover Dam, will go down there, and the rest of them will be home safer and faster.

Anyway, I just finished selection from the rest of my trip, including Hoover Dam:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 47a7268ea9

Enjoy!

4. scrimshaw

Obrazka noční club v Mexico je směšná.
    Značka na zdi je tak pěkně kreslená, ale bohužel slovo je nespravně napsané. It's misspelled on both walls. Funny.
    Wonder what the boss man said after he saw that.

I am impressed with the Biosphere picture.

Vidím, že jsi narazil na jeden z našich rohatých ještěrek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_lizard

Monument valley....famous background for lots of western films.

Pueblo cliff dwellings.....a lost civilization

Kostel svatého Františka z Assisi.....krásný

I cesta může být cíl.

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Honestly? I did not even notice until you mentioned that :). Bet the boss did not either :-D.

---
    Obrázek (fotka) nočního klubu v Mexiku je směšný(á)

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hi,

could not resist United Airlines offer for east coast - Amsterdam-Washington and Newark-Frankfurt both for just 280 bucks :). Looking forward to see Washington, Philly and New York again in the end of March. Somebody from the phorum up for the drink there?

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I can usually get around the States easily (fly cheap) - when you know more of the details, let me know. :D

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

We could organize mCR meeting some place there :)

9. scrimshaw

Well, how about that. The first MCR gathering in the U.S.
    Sounds interesting. I, for one, would like to hear about it goes.
    Philly is a great spot(never been there) but you could take a picture of the Liberty Bell for us and post it.
    If Alexx keeps this up he can become a tour guide in the U.S. He's already been to more places than I've been.
    $280....that' s a great deal

10. scrimshaw

about HOW it goes.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I start in DC, would like to visit either WH or Pentagon, aparently I need to contact Czech embassy in Washington to do that... nice challenge :).

Our plan in few words: We will land in Washington March 23rd (wed) afternoon, spend next day in Washington, either evening or morning move to Philadelpia, spend friday there and in the evening go for NY, spend weekend there and then late evening (sun 27th) we go home from Newark.

Will I be the first mCR member to see Scrimshaw in person?

12. scrimshaw

Another nice itinerary, Alexxi.
    Pořad si volíš zajímavé cestovní trasy.
    Ty a zbytek tvých společných darebáků jsou profesionální cestující.

No, it is not in the cards, I will not be making an appearance in Philadelphia, but it's nice to know that fellow MCR types are out there roaming around, putting their stamp(foot prints...I guess) on the world......or maybe the idiom means....making a difference in the world).

A nice Spring trip to look forward too.

And speaking of Philadelphia....když mluvíme o Philidelphii

http://www.operaphila.org/backend/News/ ... wone&id=85

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

14. GlennInFlorida

Looks like I will be able to make it to New York on the 26th and/or 27th.
    :D

15. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

We have 22:05 flight back to Europe on March 27th from EWR. It is Sunday, but we would like to do some shopping (clothes, Apple-related stuff,...) somewhere arount Manhattan. Will shops be open at sunday?

16. GlennInFlorida

I would imagine many of them will be open - they are down here.

17. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Czech embassy in DC just confirmed they arranged visit of White House for us. It kind of make some troubles as I already have tickets for Capitol for the same time, but those can be rescheduled. Looking forward! :D

18. scrimshaw

Alexxi, you are going to be impressed. Lots of beautiful monuments in D.C.
    Jefferson and Lincoln memorials are outstanding.

http://www.nps.gov/nama/index.htm

The following is info on the Washington Monument. I've been to the mall but never been to the top of that monument.

"Visitors used to be able to climb the 897 steps to the top, but they were closed to climbing in 1971. In 1976, the stairs were closed for good. The large amount of visitors was causing wear and tear on the monument and park officials were concerned about the health risks due to the 20-minute, 50- flight stair climb. The elevator ride is a short 75 seconds to the best view in the capital city. In 1994 a bronze replica of a statue of George Washington was placed at the monument to humanize the site. A statue of Washington had originally been approved by the Continental Congress in 1783, when old George was still alive."

Don't know how much time you have, there is really a lot to see.

19. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hm... not very much. I plan to put luggage to the hotel, and head for the Mall for the monuments, which I believe are open all day long (as I remember some night scenes from the movies).

For the another day we have scheduled White House tour (9:30) and then Capitol tour (12:10) so I hope we'll make it :).

It troubles me that Capitol admits cameras, but WH does not, so I do not know if I have enough time to "arm" myself with camera in between of the two tours.

We have 16:15 bus tickets to Philadelphia... so there will hardly be enough time to visit anything more... But I always try to leave something for the next visit, so there always leaves something what makes me re-visit the place again.

Any recommendations for Philly? We have almost all day there, just in the evening we move to NYC.

20. scrimshaw

The Capital and White House tours will be fascinating. Those are the halls of power. I'd get a lot more out of it now than I did when I saw the Capital as a kid. Too young to appreciate it.
    Philly, I don't know, another great city I've never been too. Very historical though. I'd check out the subway while I was there.

Too much to see in a day.

http://www.visitphilly.com/

I hear Brandywine Valley is beautiful.

http://www.visitphilly.com/outdoor-acti ... ne-valley/

Is Glenn going to make it too? Bude tam také Glenn?