Time to travel from PRG to Brno.

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Danjakob, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Danjakob

Danjakob Member

Dobrý Den,

Šťastný nový rok!
    I will be studying at VUT FME this coming semester.
    I fly into PRG on Jan 26 at 9:40.
    Will I have enough time with baggage, customs, etc. to make a bus towards Brno at 10:30.

Děkuji,
    Daniel

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

If you are getting the bus at the airport, yes you should be fine if the plane is on time. Immigration and Customs are very efficient and, if you are checking baggage, baggage claim is pretty quick.
    If you are getting the bus elsewhere (like the station at Florenc), no way.

3. Danjakob

Danjakob Member

Yeah I'm planning for the airport bus.
    I was looking and it said I would catch a bus from PRG to a station and then take a bus from there to Brno?
    Is this true?
    I think it was a company called Student Agency.

4. GlennInFlorida

yes, it appears that there are buses departing from the airport about every hour to Brno on weekdays - the trip is about 3-1/2 hours and the economy fare is 10 euros (about $13 or so). I have used Student Agency before and they are very nice buses - the one I took to Plzeň even had an attendant on board who served hot chocolate, tea, and coffee. :D

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have never seen direct bus to Brno on the airport, and there is no way you can make it from landing, through emigration, baggage claim, to Florenc bus station in 50 minutes. Probably not even by cab.

I landed today (sunday) at 16:20, skipped imigration (schengen(=domestic) flight), skipped baggage claim (cabin baggage only), and direct bus (3 minute wait) took me to Main Railway station (1 metro stop from Florenc) exactly at 1713. There was very low traffic.

Allow rather one and half hour when collecting baggage and going through (even very fast) imigration. If you plan on going by public transport, note that you must change at least once (AE+Metro C, or 119+A+C, or 100+B) to get to Florenc.

6. Danjakob

Danjakob Member

This is what I have been seeing on Google Maps;
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... =8&start=0

I can buy a ticket at the airport? Or will this only take me to Florenc where I will have to buy another ticket?
    Is it at a location I could spot easily?
    So 11-11:30 would be a good time for the bus.

If I'm landing in PRG at 9:40, when do you expect that I arrive in Brno?

Daniel

7. GlennInFlorida

I have never noticed a Student Agency bus a t the airport but they list them on their schedule... :?:
    Alexx, you are right - there is no way to make entry and connections in 50 minutes. Might be better to schedule a later bus (there seem to be many).

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

The only Student Agency buses one can spot on the airport are those comming to and from Karlovy Vary. I am not sure if all of them stop there (I can ask frequent Prague-KV traveler), but certainly the will not sell you tickets from the airport to Brno. They will take you to Florenc, if they are not full (which can happend), no standing is allowed.

9. Danjakob

Danjakob Member

Alright, Thanks.

And I'll be able to fit my luggage on these buses? A checked bag, carry on and a back pack.

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yes, although buses (AE, 119, 100) are not specially equiped for carrying luggage, they (drivers) are used to people carrying luggage to and from the airport.

SA buses on the other hand are top notch long distance buses, well equiped for carrying lot of luggage, they have service comparable to planes.