My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Karel Kryl Anděl
Go to page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wer

PostPosted: 03-Dec-10 21:24  Reply with quote

dzurisova wrote:
I know I just keep posting, but this is so interesting to me. My favorite subject to study in history was the American Civil Rights Movement. This is pretty much the same thing - people fighting for their individual freedom. And peaceful fights are more interesting than any of them.

Fighting against communist regime needn't be the same thing as fighting for freedom. Wink

...neither as fighting against the communist ideology. There was a lot of communists fighting the regime in Czechoslovakia and they influenced the revolution a lot Sad.

Quote:
Too bad they can't make the connection of the oppressed black Americans and oppressed individuals living in communism. Confused

While the people could see the parallel, it would be very two-edged as the regime commonly identified itself with the oppresed blacks in America. Songs of the blacks of America were accepted and supported by the regime!

Quote:
Anyway, I'd love to get my hands on some videos of the Velvet Revolution.

Just search Youtube for Velvet revolution, 1989 revolution, sametová revoluce etc.

Quote:
Were there many people in Czechoslovakia then with home video cameras?

Not many, but there were some.

Quote:
Is there much home video footage of the movement out there? What about TV footage once the TV employees took a stand and started filming - are those available these days?

There is extensive footage by both local and foreign TVs. Foreign journalists were in Prague soonly. There is also the police footage.
wer

PostPosted: 03-Dec-10 21:42  Reply with quote

dzurisova wrote:
Music played a significant role in the American Civil Rights movement as well - mostly by shaping the minds of the Vietnam war objectors who also became involved in the Civil Rights Movement. Unfortunately, those war objectors were defending communism then and some of them still spend their days defending today's communist leaders. Too bad they can't make the connection of the oppressed black Americans and oppressed individuals living in communism.

Ah, I have almost forget.

If you want a link to American music and black music in particular, check Spirituál kvintet.

One of the defining songs of the revolution was "Jednou budem dál" aka "We shall overcome".

And of course, Czech Republic is European stronghold of country music, so check also politically oriented Honza Vyčítal.
dzurisova

PostPosted: 03-Dec-10 21:53  Reply with quote

Wow Were, you are up late Smile

Thanks, I'll check all that out when I get home. I'm about ready to leave work.
dzurisova

PostPosted: 05-Dec-10 15:13  Reply with quote

wer wrote:
While the people could see the parallel, it would be very two-edged as the regime commonly identified itself with the oppresed blacks in America. Songs of the blacks of America were accepted and supported by the regime!

This is amazing to me. And you're quote

wer wrote:
Fighting against communist regime needn't be the same thing as fighting for freedom.

...neither as fighting against the communist ideology. There was a lot of communists fighting the regime in Czechoslovakia and they influenced the revolution a lot .

is intriguing and slightly obscure therefore needs further clarification. However, I have a skype appointment this afternoon with my friend in Prague who actually participated in the revolution so I'm sure I'll learn quite a lot today. Smile
scrimshaw

PostPosted: 16-Jan-11 22:42  Reply with quote

Wer wrote....

That's interesting... there are some very beautiful 'black spirituals'.....those songs are always from the gut, (z břicha), very heartfelt.

What can be more meaningful than....'We shall overcome'?....How appropriate, talking about it on Martin Luther King's birthday.

and dzurisova, you commented on this...

wer wrote:
Fighting against communist regime needn't be the same thing as fighting for freedom.

...neither (w)as fighting against the communist ideology. There was a lot of communists fighting the regime in Czechoslovakia and they influenced the revolution a lot .

(your words)
is intriguing and slightly obscure therefore needs further clarification.

I think I see Wer's point....evidently wer is referring to the czech communists were fighting for nationalistic reasons

I guess politically aligned, but nationalistically speaking, country comes first.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: