CZ to ENG please

Need help with a word or a phrase? Have a short translation request? For translations longer than a few sentences, please contact a <a href=http://www.locallingo.com/translators_interpreters/index.html target="_blank">translator</a>.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Local Lingo

Sova

Postby Sova » 07-Feb-11 18:14

I've also seen "eat humble pie" used in the context of being humiliated, not necessarily as an admission of being wrong, but of being beaten, e.g. in sport. I guess the proper web term for such nowdays is to "be pwned."
McCracken

Postby McCracken » 09-Feb-11 17:34

The more I think about it the more I think that someone "eats humble pie" after having taken a strident viewpoint that is the opposite of what actually transpires, or is correct.

Sova's example of sport is a good one. A team that would be described as having to eat humble pie would be one that told everyone in no uncertain terms that they would definitely win the match as their opponents were not very good etc etc. They then proceed to lose the match :lol: .
scrimshaw

Postby scrimshaw » 09-Feb-11 17:49

Yes, that's a perfect example....the losing team, that had, before the game, declared that they would destroy the other team...would then have to have big dish of humple pie.
Jsem zvědav, jak by to vypadalo, kdybych byl přivolávačem deště. Jak by to vypadalo, kdybych uměl přivolat déšt'?
Mám pocit ale, že se to bohužel nikdy nedozvím.