Alexx goes to the US

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Alexx, Aug 25, 2010.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I have plans to fly up for the day Saturday the 26th :)

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

3. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Very nice photos. I have never seen most of that. Like those cast statues in Philly. The indian and the bison.
    Another great trip for you.
    So, how did it feel to be president? Leader of the free world. Weight of the world on your shoulders. I hope you weren't sitting there signing some document that would raise taxes.
    Washington, Philadelphia, New York. Great itinerary.
    I visited the Lincoln Memorial with family when I was about 12. Did you read the Gettysburg Address? Four score and twenty years ago.....
    It was 150 years ago that he South fired on Fort Sumpter, a federal fort in Charleston Harbor, starting the civil war.

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

there is going to be another online report from my upcomming trip, this time to Malaysia and Indonesia. I am gonna write it in czech, so some of you might need to use Google Translator :-D

http://www.malajsie2011.blogz.cz

Enjoy, comment, and cross your fingers for me and my brother to get back safe :).

5. GlennInFlorida

I will look forward to reading about your adventures :D

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well, I am looking forward to writting it, hopefully there is gonna be internet cafe on every corner as it was two years ago in India.

7. GlennInFlorida

I have a good friend here who is Indonesian. I will ask him for suggestions about internet.

8. scrimshaw

Excellent, I look forward to reading about your adventures too. You are a real modern day Marco Polo.
    Have fun peregrinating.... :) ....you have to look it up....It is a word that we never use, but nonetheless, I think it is a great word.
    Crossing fingers, saying a little prayer too.
    I'll make sure to follow your blog.
    I admire your intrepidness.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Thanks Glenn. Tomorrow we are "peregrinating" from Borneo to Java for a week, and then... half day in Singapore, 1 day in Kuala Lumpur, and looong flight back home.

10. GlennInFlorida

Just got back from a small trip myself to New Orleans - will probably see my friend this evening. Interesting word "peregrinating" - comes from peregrine (as in peregrine falcon) and can mean traveler - can also mean pilgrim. I am a direct descendant of Peregrine White who was born on board the Mayflower in Provincetown Bay.

11. GlennInFlorida

Talked to my friend last night - he said not to worry, there are internet cafes and free wi-fi just about everywhere. He said wi-fi is more available there than it is here in the US. Have a great time!

12. scrimshaw

That is very cool Glenn that you can boast of direct lineage to Peregrine White; few people can say that.

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

True Glenn, Internet is much more easy to find on the streets than in the US or Europe, or Malaysia. Indonesia is say 10 years behind, it is rare to find LCD/Plasma TVs, probably Internet at home is not yet standard, hence Internet and rather online-game places are everywhere.

14. scrimshaw

Congratulations, Alexxi, for another fine trip. That was pure adventure. A bit harrowing at times but you survived and you have more tales for your grandchildren. I enjoyed reading your travel blog.

15. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Was it hard to read for you? As I could not use diacritics, and my czech is not very standard at times... sometimes I mix some references only few people understands.

16. scrimshaw

Well, with my very limited grasp of the czech language, I would have been lost without google translator. I read your posts first and got out of them what I could(probably about 50 per cent), and then used the translator.
    I did spot idioms and such. Some colloquialisms.
    Your encounters with the taxi drivers were funny.

people-plural

people are......
    people understand
    people visit
    people do the strangest things

17. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

18. scrimshaw

Those are beautiful pictures. A great service, sharing them with us.
    Those towers are incredible, and the ones with the boat on top, that is almost crazy.
    Gotta love those orangutans. Did you hear anyone call them Pongo? I hear that's what they are called in Indonesia. Maybe just a rumor.
    That early morning hike to see the sunrise was well worth it. Big volcano biding it's time.
    To je skutečně velká jeskyně a působivá socha.

Tvoje slova...."Zmatení směrů? Jestli je Mekka a New York stejným směrem, tak sním svůj diplom".....Ne tak zmatení. Od místa kde jsi tehdy byl je to fakt.

19. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Pongo... never read or seen that there. Given that the word "Orangutan" itself is of malay origin (indonesian and malaysian language is almost same), meaning "Man from the forest"... I do not think so.

On the other hand your are righ :). For me being "on the very end of the world" I simply though of New York being the other way, which it is. Yet Pacific ocean is so huge, that the distance one or the other way is more or less the same.

20. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

In few days I am heading to the world again :), I shell be "peregrinating" in places where americans go quite often, but few europeans visit. Guess!