Kypříci prášek do perniku

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Petronela, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Could anyone tell me what’s the difference between “Kyprici prasek do perniku” and regular baking powder? Does it have the gingerbread spices already added in to it? Sorry I’m a self learned when it comes to baking and know some of my questions are probably dumb…..

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

As I wanted to try my new owen, I decided to bake something. Yet I realized the same ... baking powder comes here in CZ in few versions: some generic regular one for say ¢5, some branded for say ¢15, and there is the "special for perník (gingerbread) one". I am really confused (remember The Simpsons episode where Mr Burns is in the superstore deciding either to buy "Ketchup" or "Catsup"?).

I have no idea what is the difference, honestly I believe that there is none :).

3. kotja

kotja Member

I think that kypříci prášek do perníku has spices in it and is less "potent"
    As a kid i used to play with kinder surprise plastic egg. I put water and baking powder and BENG. Once i used kypříci prášek do perníku and nothing happened.

4. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Thank you guys!

I usually bake pernik using American recipes, but found few on Czech cooking web sites and was totally confused.
    Just like Alexx said Ketchup v. Catsup hehe that actually did portray it nicely.

I will just order the kypříci prášek do perníku and play with it to see how it goes. Whatever I bake/cook the chances always are: 65% eatable outcome / 35% homemade glue, trash can filler :) so nothing unusual

Kotja, I think there must be a law that kids must try the kinder eggs and baking powder, coz we used to do it too. Oh man I miss those, too bad they are almost impossible to find around here.

Anyways, thank you very much!

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

The law seems to be international :), I remember doing that when I was 7, 9? Just after Velvet revolution when first Kinder Surprise came to CZ.

6. janaslav

janaslav Member

That's interesting you say that prášek do perníku didn't make the Kinder egg go bang :shock: . For the simple recipe for "Czech gingerbread" that I follow, I have to use prášek do pečiva and prášek do perníku as well, so I guess it's true - the first one is a baking powder and the second one just a mixture of spices...