My Czech Republic Home Local Lingo
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

y and

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 21-Aug-11 5:16  Reply with quote

I've read that y and i are pronounced identically. But is this still true at the end of a word, especially with long ? For example, when Czech speakers pronounce "tady" and "nen", the last sound seems to be slightly different--the i is maybe more nasal? I know about the softening of the i after the n--that's not it. The -y seems to sound a little like -e when I hear it pronounced.
Alexx

PostPosted: 21-Aug-11 10:03  Reply with quote

Well,

y after d t n is pronounced "hard" way

i after d t n is pronounced "soft" way - or rather the "d t n" is pronounced like it was marked ", or in czech. English has no sound for those, try to pronounce it as dj, tj or nj (ñ in spanish).

This is regardles if it is marked with (, or i, y).

just makes the sound "longer", like the difference between english "ship" and "sheep".

I am quite sure that soon enought you will have more precise answer here.
wer

PostPosted: 09-Sep-11 18:40  Reply with quote

1500 wrote:
I've read that y and i are pronounced identically. But is this still true at the end of a word, especially with long ? For example, when Czech speakers pronounce "tady" and "nen", the last sound seems to be slightly different--the i is maybe more nasal? I know about the softening of the i after the n--that's not it. The -y seems to sound a little like -e when I hear it pronounced.

According to the standard pronunciation "i" and "y" are pronounced the same way and so are "" and "", but "i/y" and "/" differ not only in quantity but also slightly in quality. The difference in quality makes no difference for native speakers. (In other words, "/" is long variant of the phonem "i/y", but not of the phone "i/y".)

The historical difference between "i" and "y" could be still perceptible in some substandard variants of Czech, in some dialects it is even phonemic contrast.
janaslav

PostPosted: 10-Nov-11 9:13  Reply with quote

I've compiled a couple of notes about Czech consonants and vowels - with a focus mainly on "soft" and "hard" consonants - which also concerns "i" and "y" (even though it's not focused primarily on pronunciation). Hope you'll find it helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Grammar & Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: