Alexx goes to the US

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Alexx, Aug 25, 2010.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

hmmm, a riddle, that's intriguing, after some thought, my guess.....the Vatican

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well... Vatican is place which is visited by people of any origin, skin or religion. I have been there several times already.

No, I was in Iraq 8) , Iraqi Kurdistan to be precise - nothern highland region where american soldiers go for days off, where they do not need to wear helmet and bulletproof jacket.

Really nice place where tourist (or rather traveller) is appreciated as guest and threated that way. I really like staying there, despite threre is not much to see (landmarks-wise).

I will post my log when it is written (I did not start yet), and some photos as well, soon.

3. scrimshaw

Wow, Iraq, I have to commend you on your choice of destinations.
    You look for adventure.

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well, Iraqi Kurdistan is very safe, after the revolution (or US invasion, depends on the point of view) the region was given self administration rights, it has separate government, visa, border control, army, police, parliament, flag...

As I wrote before, american soldiers are heroes for its citizens, as Saddam was tyrant and Kurds were his primary internal enemy. Each white (or black for that matter) western looking man is expected to be american soldier on holiday :).

Try to find somewhere in the internet BBC version of Top Gear Christmas (also called Middle East) special 2010 episode. It was one of the triggers to go for us.

5. scrimshaw

That's fantastic Alexxi, like I said you are more than your average tourist, you chase adventure.
    I had not heard of this.....

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gea ... 182600.htm

.but it sure looks exciting.

So the local Kurds mistook you and your friends for american soldiers?

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well probably for a moment yes, until they heard us speak. So the most obvious first question was where we were from. They howerver seldomly heard of Czechia or Czech republic, but Czechoslovakia was the way to go. Most of them was familiar with Sparta Praha :).

But people there were fantastic, uncomparable to arabs from countries I visited before. None asked for money, bakshish... Hard to say if someone was trying to overprice, in some rare cases we paid more then local would have pay (at least we think so), but in general there was no need for haggling. Even taxi drivers was reasonable :).

I would recomend visiting at least Erbil to anyone, the main problem is the price of plane tickets, but connection from Istanbul, Ankara or even Vienna exist.

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Just a dozen of pictures as an preview so Scrimshaw and the others can see how their taxes are spend ;-):

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 6ab00c93bd

More pics will follow, this is from my camera only, but we had two photograps in group and one very asertive frind who takes photos often then japanese tourist group. I am also looking forward to those pics.

8. scrimshaw

Venturing into parts less traveled. The daring duo. That's a nice photo standing next to the Kurd soldier.
    Jsem zvědav, když stojíš tam v Irbu jak nějaký dobývání bojovník, z ních je socha v pozadí? Zeus?

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

As far as I googled :) it is historian Mubarak Ben Ahmed Sharaf-Aldin (1169-1239).

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I am SOOOO easily manipulated. Awful. Well guys, I am going to the US again. Better - FLORIDA this time :-D. Hope to see U, David, Glen...

June 2-9 :)

11. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

It would be great to see you here! :D

12. scrimshaw

Yea, that would be something, keep us informed about your plans.

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well, you know me - I am able to see florida during one weekend ;-). One week is plenty of time.

I do not have any plans, as I have two more people with me with different needs, but Orlando seems to be our base. We are 100% sure going to visit the Keys, Everglades, I would like to go snorkling some place good... I guess beaches in the west are better than the Atlantic coast... Some shopping will take place for sure in Orlando or Miami.

There is plenty of time until June :), any advices "what to see" appreciated.

14. GlennInFlorida

When you are in the Keys, take a look at John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park. See the link below - it is a wonderful experience.

http://www.pennekamppark.com/

15. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Looks nice. I have been snorking on coral reef for my first time this year, on Borneo, so I hope to repeat next year in Florida. I guess there are more places to go.

16. scrimshaw

Alexxi, you wrote....I have been snorking on coral reef for my first time this year, on Borneo, so I hope to repeat next year in Florida.

Corrected version..I went SNORKELING on A(because we haven't mentioned it yet, we don't know which coral reef, indefiinite) coral reef for the/my first time, in Borneo(we do something IN a country, though we do something ON an island), so I hope to do it again next year.

I thought about John Pennekamp park too, since it's just south of Miami on the way to the Keys.

For the really adventurous there is always the Dry Tortugas...

http://www.drytortugasinfo.com/?gclid=C ... 7Aod5hVHDg

17. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

18. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Florida trip is getting complicated :)... Delta canceled all flights Budapest-New York... nice... Expedia is not very helpful... neither is Delta... call in one month is what they say...

Really great.

19. GlennInFlorida

Why BUD instead of PRG? Meeting people there I guess.

20. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Should anyone be interested in my recent trip, I just selected photos from my last week in Uzbekistan:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 91d5f62170

I guess worst place to live I have ever been - kind of Cuba, open for tourists yet very corrupt dictatorship... Yet on photos it does not look like it.