Dobrý den!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BaronPrasil, Mar 8, 2014.

1. BaronPrasil

BaronPrasil Member

I have been interested in Česká republica for a long time, and I finally took the opportunity to visit central Europe in srpen 2013. All I think about is going back to Praha later this year. It is a beautiful město and all the Czech people I met were wonderful. Hopefully I will meet more nice people on this web site.

Music, cinema, and beer are all great things. No wonder I loved Praha so much! :D

Now I am working on learning the Czech language. I do not know much, but I will keep mixing the words I learn into my English writing until I can write entire posts in Czech.

See you all on the other forums!

Na shledanou.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Ahoj Jeremy,

Welcome to the boards! It's nice to see you here! I'm glad you had a good experience on your trip to the Czech Republic. You write that you've been interested in the country for a long time. What is your connection to the Czech Republic?

I hope you enjoy these boards and site and that you get to come back to Prague soon!

Dana

3. BaronPrasil

BaronPrasil Member

Ahoj Dana,

When I was a child, before Velvet Revolution. "Czechoslovakia" sounded exotic, and we in America were told we were not allowed to go there. I liked the idea of a mysterious, forbidden place with a name that most people in my country couldn't spell.

Years later, the Czech Republic Olympic hockey team was very exciting, and drew my attention back to that part of the world.

Then I discovered Czech(oslovak) cinema, and fell in love with the movies, because they are so creative, unique, and funny. I even loved movies people say non-Czechs probably won't enjoy. The people in the films seemed a lot like me, with their dark humor and the way they speak their minds, so I decided I had to visit and see if real Czech people were also like that.

When I visited Praha, I felt at home in ways I never had before, like I was accidentally born in the wrong country. Of course, people are not exactly the same as movie characters, but I saw many of the things I like about the movie people in the real people and in the Czech culture.

Now I can't wait to go back and try to live there. Hopefully it will work out well, and Czechs will let me stay :)

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

That's a great story! I expected some link in the form of ancestors or friends living here, but it sounds like your interest in the Czech Republic came about more or less accidentally. :) I'm surprised you are able to not only enjoy, but appreciate and understand Czech movies. Czechs have a particular sense of humor and I agree it is hard for a non-Czech to "get it". Czechs have great fun watching a film like Vesničko má středisková and can enjoy seeing it five times, while a typical foreigner would probably sit through the movie wondering what the big deal is and what the film is really about. :) The Czech mentality is reflected well in our movies, which is why we enjoy them so much.

I wish you good luck in relocating to Prague if you decide to do it. It sounds like you won't have any problem fitting in.

5. BaronPrasil

BaronPrasil Member

Even the way I discovered Czech movies was like an accident. I was looking for unusual films to watch, and Valerie a týden divů sounded interesting, so I got the DVD. Not entirely sure how I felt about it, I liked it enough to be curious about other Czech films. Then I happened to find some while randomly looking around on Amazon. I took a chance on Spalovač mrtvol, Sedmikrásky, Démanty noci, and O slavnosti a hostech.

I've been crazy about Czech(oslovak) cinema ever since. Valerie has become a favorite, and has a special place in my heart, being the one that started it all.

When I got home from central Europe last year, I saw some discussions on IMDb about some movie called "My Sweet Little Village" and how it was THE ONE to see. I was disappointed that I didn't know to look for THE ONE to see when I was in Praha. I looked it up and saw Vesničko má středisková, which seemed familiar for some reason. Then I saw who directed it, and...wait a moment...AH YES! Vesničko má středisková!!! I got that at Tesco Express in Žižkov, because it had Jiří Menzel's name on it, and just hadn't gotten to watching it yet. Another happy accident :D

6. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Ahoj and welcome!

7. BaronPrasil

BaronPrasil Member

Ahoj. Těši mě.

Palm Springs je pěkné místo! Some friends and I had a great time hiking/scrambling up a river canyon there (if not officially in Palm Springs, very nearby).

8. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Je tu ted horko pro pěší turistiku.

9. BaronPrasil

BaronPrasil Member

It is getting a bit horko pro pěší turistiku where I live in Arizona, but luckily my friend Joe brought plenty of Cola Loca :D