Vitosh

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by zalesky, Dec 1, 2014.

1. zalesky

zalesky Member

Does anyone know what the meaning of the word "vitosh" means. It was used during a toast. It could be 2v words Vic and something else.

2. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hi Lennie,

I've read both of your posts but can't think what the utterance could be. I wonder if you could provide any other clues.

Jirka

3. zalesky

zalesky Member

I think it may be 2 words like
    vic________ more something
    Not sure what the word may be for toast, etc..

It could have been pronounced vis sosh or Vit sosh as well

I am sure it may be slang. My dad grew up in a Czech community in Iowa and wonder if it may have been a local saying.

There was a family around the area with the last named Vitosh. Is there a meaning to that name. Wonder if it was a reference to that family-hidden joke perhaps. Any ideas are welcome

4. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Vitosh would spell Vitoš in Czech. It is a rare surname in the Czech Republic (http://www.kdejsme.cz/prijmeni/Vito%C5%A1/) and the name of a mountain in Serbia.

The other possibilities allow even fewer interpretations. I only think that there could be letter 'c' in the middle, which is pronounced a bit like /ts/ but I can't still think of anything that would make sense. Perhaps "I což!", which would work like "Well, never mind!" or "Whatever!"; more literally "And what". ("Což" is a dated word.) This is the closest I can think on a phonetic basis…

5. zalesky

zalesky Member

Jirka,

I truly want to thank you for your work with this question. I really do appreciate it. I will relay the answer back to my brother. I have always been interested in Czech history language, etc.. Having been raised in a Czech community, one generation away from being taught the language at home. I plan to visit there someday.

Thanks Jirka

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Lennie,

I'm afraid I won't contribute much here. Nothing comes to mind except that the "tosh" part could be the word "tož", a Moravian dialectical word that roughly means "so". It is used quite commonly in some parts of Moravia and I can easily imagine it being part of a toast. The puzzling thing is that it is normally used at the beginning of a sentence, not at the end. E.g. people could toast saying "Tož napijme se!", which means "So let's drink!". Otherwise, I have no ideas.

Dana

7. zalesky

zalesky Member

Dana,

Thank you for your answer. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if that is part of the meaning. Thanks for your insight. I will pass it on to my brothers.

Lennie

8. zalesky

zalesky Member

There is not a word Vitrosh is there?

9. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Not that I know...

10. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

I'm just guessing, maybe "vítej" (welcome) in some (Moravian?) dialect where they use "š" suffixes.