How beneficial is watching Czech TV?

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Anonymous, Dec 15, 1999.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ive been watching Televizni Noviny a few weeks and was wondering how much this can benefit my learning of the language. Is it worthwhile to do this? I figure that any exposure to the language is good. I only know a few words, numbers, days of the week, and basic stuff like that. My vocabulary is quite limited. Any suggestions on how to increase it?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

A great way to increase your vocabulary and ability to better understand the Czech news on TV would be to read the Czech newspapers, too. That way you'd be able to familiarize yourself with some of the terms used in the Televizni noviny in advance. One of the major Czech newspapers has a pretty good presence online at www.idnes.cz
    All you need is to get a Czech-English English-Czech dictionary (if you don't have one already) that would help you translate some words used in the news articles. Have you looked at the books we feature at http://www.locallingo.com/czech_language_books.html ?
    I agree that any exposure to a foreign language is valuable when you're trying to learn the language. Even if you do not understand much when you watch the Czech news, you are at least getting used to hearing the language. If you expand your vocabulary, you should soon be able to pick up more and more words.