Christmas markets

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by brigitte, Nov 16, 2004.

1. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

It would be great to have market stalls selling traditional Czech food visit the UK over Christmas - too late I think this year, but there is a continental market that comes to this town (Bournemouth) and includes French, Belgian and Spanish stalls, about 40 in all. And we are having a traditional German one coming here in the lead up to Christmas too, this year in a couple of weeks. Lots of traditional food cooked and sold on the stalls. After a trip to the mobile French patisserie the English supermarket versions are so insipid!! And the smell permeates the town, lovely on a winter's day!

I just think it would be great to have some traditional Czech stalls too! Especially beer ones....... :wink: Food would be sold - I've seen the queues.....

2. brigitte

OMG I am such a pig!!

I went to see the German market today, and there is some really lovely food on sale, and tried gluhwein for the first time, it was absolutely delicious. They have this converted train that was originally used for shifting rubble in Berlin in 1944 - it is a train-bar!! There is a stall doing marinated pork with sauer cabbage, not sauerkraut but a sweetish taste. It is so moorish. (I am going to try and persuade the stallholder to sell a jar of the cabbage for use over Xmas, as it is just used as a topping, not sold as such) I am going to get fat......

3. silverkinguk

silverkinguk Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I rather have Indian food lol.
    Curry and beer!

SR :)

4. brigitte

Awww, cannot stand Indian food!! Continental food is great. :wink:

Chinese is ok, some Thai, Italian, Spanish all alright. Indian tends to be too spicy for me, a korma is about my limit, mind you I like samosas and onion bhajis - just not hot curry. Cannot eat too much rice either, I like it but it doesn't like me - my belly bloats out for ages and I look pregnant! White bread does the same, although I find drinking probiotic yogurt helps!!